1938-57 BT Jiffy Stand bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938-57 BT Jiffy Stand bracket

Can someone post images of a 1938-57 jiffy stand bracket. I have read Palmer's description numerous times and still don't understand what the differences are from the earlier (1936-37 EL) bracket. My assumption is the shop heads on the rivets are larger on the 36-7 brackets. Are the 38-57 brackets shaped like the 36-37 or the 58-73 brackets which are different between the spaced rivet shop head side and the middle rivet (1st image). Are the inside plates all the same size or different? What is width of the stacked plates? Anyway just want to know how to identify one. Thanks Attached are several images of the early bracket and the 1958-73 bracket. Several obvious differences there when comparing the two in hand. I would also like to see an image of the 1936-37 leg stop. The one I have is made from a single piece of steel and not laminated as Palmer describes. It is narrower than the later stops I have. I have other images but could only upload 5 with this post. Thanks

Shane
    Attached Files

Are the inside plates all the same size or different?
    Different,
    36 and 37 use 7 plates
    38 to 57 use six plates
    Rigid frame plates and swingarm frame plates differ, the plates control how far bike leans with stand down.

Comment

The first mount in your picture is the '36/'37. Notice that all the rivet head are the same size. Also notice the point between the first and second rivets as shown in your picture. '38 an later have 2 large and 1 smaller rivet. Ans as 1950 Pan posted pointed out the '36/'37 has 7 plates VS 6 on the later.

I could use your early mount for my '37 project.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        The first mount in your picture is the '36/'37. Notice that all the rivet head are the same size. Also notice the point between the first and second rivets as shown in your picture. '38 an later have 2 large and 1 smaller rivet. Ans as 1950 Pan posted pointed out the '36/'37 has 7 plates VS 6 on the later.

I could use your early mount for my '37 project.
        Thanks for the responses. I know how to identify a 1936-7 bracket, my question is in regards to the 1938-57 bracket. How is it different from a 1958-73 bracket? Sorry Chris the early bracket is already attached to a 1937 EL.

Shane

Comment

Swingarm brackets are set at a different leg angle (as mentioned in post 2). The swingarm plates were changed due to the higher frame position than a rigid. The plates are longer and the stamping is extended to change that angle.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Swingarm brackets are set at a different leg angle (as mentioned in post 2). The swingarm plates were changed due to the higher frame position than a rigid. The plates are longer and the stamping is extended to change that angle.
            IMG_1265.jpgIMG_1266.jpgIMG_1267.jpg

The first image shows from left to right; a 1938-57 bracket, a 1958-73 bracket, and a 1936-7 bracket. The second image shows the width (approx. 1/2") of the plates at the top of the 1938-57 bracket. Third image shows the same for a 1958-73 bracket (approx. 5/8"). This was the only difference I could see between the 1938-57 and 1958-73 brackets. The 1936-37 bracket had different rivets, different housing, and one more plate as noted above. Hope this is helpful to somebody else out there.

Comment

Working...
            X