Late 47 frame question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 47 frame question

I have a late 1947 NON-bullneck frame that I suspect has a reproduction neck on it.
    The rest of the frame has the correct forging numbers and hallmarks for a late 47 frame but the ONLY markings on the neck is the XE-35 on the left side. It does not have the 12 underneath nor any other markings.
    The thing is that I'm not aware of anyone ever making a non-bullneck, 30 deg neck with any OEM style markings.
    This neck also has evidence in the form of rust pitting that it's been around for a while.
    When I got it, it was heavily powder coated.
    Is anyone here aware of a repop neck ever being made like the one that I'm describing?
    Thanks
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Mark,
    Very late '47 frames are marked with the hallmark and number #13 on the right side (opposite the XE-35) and the web on the right is marked "UU" in the center. My 47 is within about 250 units to end of production. These are poor pictures but show you where to look.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mine also has that "UU," it was how I was told to look for a late '47. They also have the neck lock casting, but they're undrilled, too. From what I understand, they're basically a Pan frame with a different top motor mount.

Comment

Liam, there is no "neck lock casting" on them, note your picture as well as mine. And Pan frames were all wishbone in '48, no Knuckle ever was.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

This is what happens when I type before thinking.

Comment

First off, thanks for the replies.
            I got it back from the sandblaster today who was getting off all of the remaining powder coat and I also knocked out the bearing cups.
            I now know what the situation is. While the entire frame is correct for late 47, the neck has been replaced AND repaired.
            The dash mount has been replaced and was blended very well. After blasting, I can see the slight color difference in the metal where the weld bead was laid and ground. Also, the neck is either part Knucklehead and part Panhead or all Panhead with the neck lock removed and filled with weld.
            So..... long shot here but does anyone here have a correct, late 1947 frame neck for sale or trade?
            Thanks
            Mark Masa
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Also, the neck is either part Knucklehead and part Panhead or all Panhead with the neck lock removed and filled with weld.
              I wondered if this was possible but have never done it, the pan die numbers differ from knuckle

So..... long shot here but does anyone here have a correct, late 1947 frame neck for sale or trade?
              Anything is possible .... The neck casting is hard to find in good shape.

Comment

Mine is very late as well but appears to have an upside down #1 stamped in addition. Has anyone else something similar?IMG_2532[696].jpg

Comment

Working...
                X