Knucklehead cam question 1940 EL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knucklehead cam question 1940 EL

I have had this 1940 EL Knucklehead for a few years and never rode it much because it had a lot of gear noise coming from the cam chest. I bought it with all work done and I am the 3rd owner. Today I decided to tear into it and see if I could locate the problem. I do not know for sure but this cam might be the issue. It was apparently new when the motor was overhauled a few years and maybe 1000 miles ago. My question really is - does anybody recognize who may have manufactured it. The only marks on it are the '1' on the inner most cam lobe. Lift is .385" and duration is unknown. The bike ran good with the cam except the gear noise annoyed me.

For the record I also have a lot of slop on the generator and generator drive gears.

Jerry
    Attached Files

More pictures of the cam. Jerry
    Attached Files

Comment

That is a Leieneweber, Jerry. They call it... (wait for it) their #1 cam.

You can read more about it here: http://leinewebercams.com/knucklecatalogue.pdf

Comment

Thanks Liam That makes sense as I have heard of #1 Leineweber. Do not know why they would not put their name on it - free advertising. Jerry

Comment

On an unrelated note, clear out your inbox... I tried to PM you but you cannot accept messages because you are all full. Also, where is that Linkert sketch from? That's cool as hell!

Comment

Liam I do not remember. I got it off the internet somewhere.

Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
            On an unrelated note, clear out your inbox... I tried to PM you but you cannot accept messages because you are all full. Also, where is that Linkert sketch from? That's cool as hell!

Comment

Working...
            X