"47 Knuckleheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "47 Knuckleheads

I bought a '47 FLH that was flooded to mid tank last August. I pulled the engine and trans down to clean everything and take a good look see at this engines condition prior to getting wet. I was informed that the engine had been recently (mileage wise) rebuilt. The engine did look good with only some minor pitting beginning on some of the rollers. I replaced the rollers and also the pistons (one had a small chunk missing on the bottom where someone let it hit the cases on assembly. The bores were nice and clearance on the new pistons came right in on spec.
    Now the heads have me curious. The valves were carboned up pretty bad. The valve faces and seats are very nice. The guides are on the outside of spec at .006 in the center of the guides and a bit looser at the ends. The valve seats are a bit wide, but I can lower the top of the seats and get the mating surface right where I want it without touching the 45 degree angle. Here's the question, is it advisable to knurle the guides, taking the clearance back to .004" and then installing valve seals on the intakes? I've read Jim Moshers tips about installing valve seals on Indians, but I haven't seen anything about doing it to Harleys. If I replace the guides, I know the seats are going to get lowered and I don't want to go there if I can help it. Any suggestions??
    Thanks
    Sam

47 FLH , is that stamped on the case?

Comment

My bad - 47FL.

Comment

Working...
      X