square tool box fastener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square tool box fastener

Anybody know the size, thread pitch and style of the screw that mounts a 36-39 big twin tool box to the rear fender? Talkin' about the one that goes through the dogleg bracket that's brazed onto the back of the box. Palmer says it's a screw, but he doesn't elaborate.

toolbox knuck copy.jpg

I found this in my old parts book. The screw looks special and has a unique part # unlike standard H-D hardware. If I were to guess, I would say it's 5/16 x 24 tpi.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

That's the one that mounts the tool box to the bracket. The flange that goes to the fender is a 1/4" hole.
      AMCA #765

Comment

Eric is probably right.[2] shown as the mounting screw for earlier that have the braket brazed to the box.If Palmer says screw it is a screw not a bolt head.1/4-24 screw is my guess.The 1950 book shows the 34-5844 nmber as replacement.The same screw for VL & 45" inner primary mounting screw
        Last edited by duffeycycles; 03-19-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Like Len said, the (2) are the two screws that mount the box to the bracket on the frame. My best guess is that they changed that screw in 1944, hence the updated part number. Don't ask me what they changed it to. I'm probably using the updated oval-headed countersunk screw with the two stamped washers on the inside of the box to hold it to the frame bracket. Somebody over at the caimag site said he had a '38 big twin, and the screw that holds the dogleg bracket to the fender on his unit is a 1/4-24 by 5/8" long.I'll go with that until someone with a broader knowledge base than me tells me it's wrong.

Comment

The parts book I got that picture from is original, and runs from 1930-41, so I believe it is very inclusive of original parts for early knucks. H-D is not my field of expertise, but I have found that original parts books are just about 99% right, and changes were always found in later editions. Harley is also reliably systematic, and didn't bounce parts into different categories without a good reason. Hence, I have to think that anything that had to do with toolboxes would be in that category, and not in the mudguard section. Another good thing about H-D part #s is, the 2 to 4 digit numbers without a suffix are often standard hardware, and can be found with a full description in the back pages of their parts books. The bathroom is a good place to study parts books
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

It is the same in the '39 & the '40 parts books that I looked at

Comment

The early tool box main screws are the same as 45 inner primary screws. The '44 up screw is slightly longer to allow the shakeproof washer to bite and still have full thread contact. For whatever reason the screw for the bracket does not appear in any parts books...
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                X