Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 bullneck frame..

Hi there,
    original 46knuck... should it have bullneck frame +off set springer?

Maybe... 3 variations of frame/front end in 1946. Early has midyear frame with inline fork. Middle has bullneck frame with inline fork. Late has bull neck frame with offset.

Jerry

Originally posted by hdhikaru View Post
    Hi there,
    original 46knuck... should it have bullneck frame +off set springer?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
      Maybe... 3 variations of frame/front end in 1946. Early has midyear frame with inline fork. Middle has bullneck frame with inline fork. Late has bull neck frame with offset.

Jerry
      got it! thanks Jerry!

Comment

Hikaru

The big question is when did early/middle and late occur by serial number and I disagree with the Palmer book on this. In 1984 I bought 3 Knucklehead motors out of the trunk of a car at the old AMCA meet in Davenport Iowa for $500. A 39EL, a 40EL and 46EL380x. I already had 1939 and 1940 so I sold them and focused on the 46EL. I already knew that early and late variations existed and I researched every original type 46 OHV motorcycle that I could. I needed to find out if my bike was of the early variety or late. I was looking for an early framed bike with a higher serial number than 46EL380x or a late framed bike with a lower serial number than 46EL380x. Well guess what - after 30 + years of looking I have never seen either situation so I have assumed that 46EL380x must be very near the change over. In the mean time I also discovered a few original bikes in the middle that had a late frame but also still had an early in-line front end. This is my belief - 1000 to about 3900 are early bikes - 3900 to 4100 are midyear bikes - 4100 and up are late bikes - all numbers approximate. Somewhere in the HD publications probably 'Shop Dope' I have seen February 1, 1946 as the introduction of the off set springer.

Originally posted by hdhikaru View Post
        got it! thanks Jerry!

Comment

for what it's worth, i own 46el53xx in a bullneck frame with offset fork, & used to own 46el1039 in a midyear frame with inline fork.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
            Hikaru

The big question is when did early/middle and late occur by serial number and I disagree with the Palmer book on this. In 1984 I bought 3 Knucklehead motors out of the trunk of a car at the old AMCA meet in Davenport Iowa for $500. A 39EL, a 40EL and 46EL380x. I already had 1939 and 1940 so I sold them and focused on the 46EL. I already knew that early and late variations existed and I researched every original type 46 OHV motorcycle that I could. I needed to find out if my bike was of the early variety or late. I was looking for an early framed bike with a higher serial number than 46EL380x or a late framed bike with a lower serial number than 46EL380x. Well guess what - after 30 + years of looking I have never seen either situation so I have assumed that 46EL380x must be very near the change over. In the mean time I also discovered a few original bikes in the middle that had a late frame but also still had an early in-line front end. This is my belief - 1000 to about 3900 are early bikes - 3900 to 4100 are midyear bikes - 4100 and up are late bikes - all numbers approximate. Somewhere in the HD publications probably 'Shop Dope' I have seen February 1, 1946 as the introduction of the off set springer.
            Hi Jerry, great!! thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
              for what it's worth, i own 46el53xx in a bullneck frame with offset fork, & used to own 46el1039 in a midyear frame with inline fork.
              ok, thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X