Aftermarket generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket generator

Who makes the best aftermarket generator for a 1945 knucklehead in looks and operation

Cycle Electric

Comment

I've run a lot of their items... hands down agree Cycle Electric.

Comment

Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
        I've run a lot of their items... hands down agree Cycle Electric.
        Me too!

But I would avoid the ugly end-mount regulators, in favor of their solid state units that can easily be tucked under the generator.

If a model with 5/16" bolt holes is ordered, merely installing 1/4"-24 Helicoils into the holes does fine.

...Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

...or you can order them pre-Helicoiled for no additional charge directly from Karl.

I knew you'd be along to complain about the looks of those regulators.

They fit and work wonderfully. If you want an OE one, just rebuild one. This cat specifically asked for an aftermarket solution; presumably he doesn't give a rip what it looks like.

Comment

Govmule84!

Ask Karl who first told him the Helicoils fit.

The endmounts proved to be an issue with footclutches for me. Or at least an inconvenience...
            (And the Indian models interfere with Chumme assist springs.)

And you are right, absolutely nobody cares about appearances on a vintage machine. Huh.

....Cotten
            PS: Its pretty hard to get a 30137-32 cover over the endmount regulator, too. With the cover, a 'standard' generator looks fairly authentic.
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-07-2017, 05:36 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank Cotten,
              I have been sick and unable to thank everyone. Looks are so important to all of us . I'm building two units one totally stock 1946 and one totally aftermarket 1945 I didn't know it would involve buying every after market part until I find the ones that are the best examples. Any how I appreciate the info and if you know anyone doing one off production of hard to find parts for a 1945 knucklehead I am definitely interested.

Comment

Rebuilt Harley Model 32E generators are still available, and would be correct for 1945/6.

Comment

Working...
                X