Bullneck frame machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullneck frame machining

As mentioned in another thread, I still have all the machining fixtures from the RFE frame business.
    A young guy recently asked me if I would machine all the tubing out of his wrecked Bull neck frame to get it in readiness for re-tubing.
    I think I am at the level of doing too much posting on the forum so I'll put it out there for consensus. Pictures-descriptions? Yes No?

P9040001_2.jpg
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

No such thing as too much posting Steve, go for it!!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Absolutely!!

Comment

this is good learning Steve ,yes from me

Comment

Agree with all of the above. Keep it comin', Steve!

Dale

Comment

Please do!

Comment

Thanks to all. Must be a self imposed restriction ... or mind chatter.

When a fixture is made, usually a Datum point will be machined into it.
              Machinists use the Datum to align the fixture to the measuring equipment of the machine, and all measurements are referenced from this point. Probably ho-hum info for the machinists in the club, but might be interesting and have some educational value for others.
              Usually a machinist will have a booklet or diagram for each fixture and this will have a list of tooling, machining procedures, and measurements.

The datum on this fixture is the center drill mark in the top edge.

P9050008.jpg

P9040007.jpg

P9040005_1.jpg

P9040006.jpg

I haven't used this fixture for a year and the booklet is not with the others.
              While I have a fossick around and look for it.
              Feel free to talk among yourselves and there is tea, coffee, and biscuits on the back table and I'll be back shortly.
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve, this certainly isn't ho-hum stuff for me. all of this will be new to me and a blast to follow along.

Comment

Thanks nklhd.
                  Good to see you on board.

A tense ¾ of an hour went by before I located the machining book under a box.
                  Once I found it, I moved the table to the appropriate side shifts and could get on with drilling and milling out the down tubes.
                  Fitted to the neck into the fixture, and a 1” drill took out the stiffener brace.
                  This has to be done, as I use a 6 flute 1-1/8” end mill to finish the clean up and they are not designed to take out a lot of steel.

P9050001.jpg

P9050002.jpg

P9050004.jpg

Cleaned out the stiffener and I got it nicely on center going by the witness mark in the bottom of the drill bore. I stopped at this point to take a picture. Completed the cut all the way to the bottom after that.

P9050003.jpg

The neck had some road trauma and the neck casting didn't get off scott free.

P9050005.jpg
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

Yep I'm happy with that. That sliver of steel down the bottom is probably a couple of thou” thick.

P9050007.jpg

7.30 pm and being hailed for dinner. Time for lights out.
                    Steve Little
                    Australia.
                    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Thanks so much for the play-by-play, Steve! Wonderful stuff for a non-machinist like me.

Comment

Thanks Rooster.
                        Do you play with frames as well?

Same process for the other side.

P9060003.jpg

P9060004.jpg

P9060005.jpg

P9060006.jpg

P9060007.jpg
                        Steve Little
                        Australia.
                        AMCA member 1950

Comment

View from the other side of the hole.

P9060008.jpg

Yep. I like that one as well.
                          That is my job on the neck complete. The customer is going to splice a new backbone onto the remaining section.
                          Time to remove this fixture and do a quick clean up around the mill. I don't like swarf underfoot.
                          When I've got it clean, I will set up the next fixture for the next forging.
                          Steve Little
                          Australia.
                          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Thanks for today's batch of photos. Steve.
                            And Yes, I've been known to dabble with repairs to the most common issues seen on knuckle and pan frames. But nothing on the level you display.

Comment

Steve away nice to see you at your craft ,i will show my son this thread ,he has more knowledge than i with what you are doing and will learn from what you put up here , young fellas need and want to learn this type of work and this is as good as anywhere to learn ,as you know there arent any tech course available to teach what knowledge you have on frame building ,there are more and more young ones wanting to know how, we know your talent in this field ,cheers Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X