Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for good quality repop Knucklehead tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for good quality repop Knucklehead tanks?

Can anyone share a source for good reproduction tanks for a 39 Knuckle? V-Twin tanks have a terrible reputation for quality and the asking prices for original tanks when you even find them are scary. I have done pretty well so far finding original parts but tanks just seem to be one of those things where I will have to go the reproduction route. I would think at the prices today for original tanks someone would step up and make some good copies. Any guidance would be most appreciate. Bob

I am using the VTwin repops on my 41 project. I was able to get a set of originals but I will go ahead with the aftermarket tanks for now. The seams and gap are ugly, the contour across the top is off, the mount holes are off 1/4 " from side to side and 3/16 up and down, the filler necks are not symetrical. I pressure tested them with a gauge that I made like Harleytoprocks and alined the shut off with my home made pointer. I leaded the seams instead of welding because they are already thin from grinding. After all this they are cheap tanks that I got at a discount and will be zinc plated inside when I get more time.

P2240388.jpgP8130448.jpgP8130449.jpgP6230414.jpgP6230408.jpg

Comment

More pics

P6230398.jpgP6230416.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by FNG1; 08-13-2017, 05:54 PM. Reason: double pictures

Comment

I am using the VTwin repops on my 41 project. I was able to get a set of originals but I will go ahead with the aftermarket tanks for now. The seams and gap are ugly, the contour across the top is off, the mount holes are off 1/4 " from side to side and 3/16 up and down, the filler necks are not symetrical. I pressure tested them with a gauge that I made like Harleytoprocks and alined the shut off with my home made pointer. I leaded the seams instead of welding because they are already thin from grinding. After all this they are cheap tanks that I got at a discount and will be zinc plated inside when I get more time.
        You modified the tank edge contour to match original tanks ?
        How much material did you remove and where ?
        Did you weld the tanks back together, mig, tig, stick ?

Comment

Can anyone share a source for good reproduction tanks for a 39 Knuckle? V-Twin tanks have a terrible reputation for quality and the asking prices for original tanks when you even find them are scary. I have done pretty well so far finding original parts but tanks just seem to be one of those things where I will have to go the reproduction route. I would think at the prices today for original tanks someone would step up and make some good copies. Any guidance would be most appreciate.
          Bob,
          There are no good reproductions, that is why originals are so expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20410[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20411[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20409[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20412[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20413[/ATTACH]
            I would have liked to seen a thread on that project.
            Regards Steve
            Steve Little
            Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi 1950 Panhead, I didn't grind or weld them. I filed the mounting holes on the tanks and on the frame to get the length, hieght, and contour to match using a straight edge. I shimmed the tanks to fit an original looking gap, then I leaded the tanks for a target for a skim of filler on top and to define the edge of the gap. I pressure tested and aligned the fuel shutoff as recommended. Everyone agrees these tanks are crap, but for what you spend, and the satisfaction you get from making something decent out of junk, I think its worthwhile for a project like mine that will never be more than a good looking rider. Bob, let us see some before and after pics as you go.

Comment

Hi Steve, I enjoy reading your posts. I am glad you found something of interest in one of mine. This is a work in progress, as this bike barely survived its life as a chopper. Most would have considered it DOA. I have the modified frame(frame rework post), cases, repop cylinders and heads, OE rockers and repop tins. Aftermarket front and rear fenders and tanks, the right trans and oil tank, star hub wheels of unknown origin, correct for 41 springer, repop dash, speedo, headlamp, etc.....The list goes on, maybe I am on the wrong forum, but I have found so much information here. So I'll post more pics as I go.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
                  Hi Steve, I enjoy reading your posts. I am glad you found something of interest in one of mine. This is a work in progress, as this bike barely survived its life as a chopper. Most would have considered it DOA. I have the modified frame(frame rework post), cases, repop cylinders and heads, OE rockers and repop tins. Aftermarket front and rear fenders and tanks, the right trans and oil tank, star hub wheels of unknown origin, correct for 41 springer, repop dash, speedo, headlamp, etc.....The list goes on, maybe I am on the wrong forum, but I have found so much information here. So I'll post more pics as I go.
                  Great. We like pictures
                  Regards Steve
                  Steve Little
                  Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

I had heard that Replicant Metals was going to be making them. I don't know if they are available or not.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I too heard Replicant Metals would be sourcing tanks. It just seems to me the economics of the situation, low supply of good tanks and high demand (and price) for them would kick in and someone would see there is an opportunity to make (or have made overseas) good quality tanks and sell them for a good profit but still less than what originals bring. I mean jeez, when a 36-39 left side tanks sells for $4,000 on fleabay, it seems like someone would fill the need.

Comment

Working...
                      X