1946 FL Knucklehead Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 FL Knucklehead Wheels

I need help determining the right wheel for 1946 Knucklehead. I have seen to different 18" rims that are supposedly for a 1946 knucklehead. I have looked through many books and reference photos but cant seem to confirm applications or come to a definitive answer. One type of 18" wheel has a more rounded center and the other has more of a square center. Can someone help me understand when and where these different types of rims were used. Attached are pics of the two 18" rim types (rounded and square) that Im referring to.

s-l1600 Higher 18 inch center more square side view.jpgs-l1600 Rounded 18 inch center.jpg

Stock '46 Knuckleheads had 16" wheels, not 18". There was an option for 18" wheels and they are the second picture profile 9rounded center). that was the standard profile on all 18" and 19" rims from the '30 to the end of the '60s. 18" rims with a square center profile first appeared on the rear of Sportsters in 1970. They were never used on Big Twins except for custom applications. All 16" stock factory equipment rims have a square deep drop center. they were stock from '40 up.
    Oh, and your first picture is of a 16" rim, not 18".
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
    X