'47 Transmission Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '47 Transmission Gear

I have my '47 EL transmission apart and am currently running a 23 tooth engine sprocket and a 22 tooth transmission sprocket. I run about 50 at a comfortable RPM and don't feel as though I am stressing anything. Would it change much if I went to a 23 or 24 tooth transmission gear? Thinking maybe more toward 55-60 mph at a comfortable RPM? This is my first OHV big twin so any help, info or suggestion as to what you all are running would be great. Thank you!

Mike

I'm sure others will chime in here with their thoughts but I am running pretty much running 23 motor and 24 tranny on all of my bikes and changing the ones that aren't already that way. For me it seems to be a good fit with enough to run 60 without running too high on the rpms but low enough you are not lugging around town. Trying to stay in the power band as much as I can.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Same here Tom and Mike on both my Knuckle and Shovel. Fine around town and great on the road.
      DrSprocket

Comment

My first gear is pretty low so I was thinking a 24 would be about right on both ends. Thanks for your input!

Mike

Comment

22 trans on sidecar & i can run 60 fine...too many are worried about RPM..they get more oil and run better/longer if revved a bit

Comment

I have 23 tooth gears on several bikes, and like the result.
            VPH-D

Comment

Working...
            X