Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Springer fork tool

Hi.
    Recently I was contacted by the you bloke who bought my jig and frame straightening table. He is from Melbourne and was having a problem with a springer that he was straightening for a friend of mine.
    He brought the springer down here for me to check over and he had done a nice job of straightening the legs, but the rockers where binding up when the owner was tightening it up to the spring leg.
    I found that the flattened section at the bottom of the legs had slightly rotated out during the accident, or stress of straightening.

During a thread on straightening springers that I did some years ago I posted a couple of pictures that showed two opposing rams twisting the face of the flattened section on the bottom of a rigid leg. I was doing this to make it correspond with a square which was sitting on the surface plate. The flat section at the bottom of the leg is irrelevant. Harley put a spot face into the side of this flattened section to make it perfectly square to the rocker shaft.
    Through my ignorance or lack of correct procedure at the time, that sequence of pictures may have cause someone else to make an error which I would like to amend now.
    If you do any straightening on the rigid fork, you will need to make a special tool to re surface the spot face where the rockers bolt to.
    If the rockers do not face exactly straight ahead, they will bind up when pulled into alignment with the spring fork.
    Description of the tool.
    Use the correct size shaft that will extend through both legs. Make a cutter that will lock to the shaft.
    Use a drill to drive the shaft and the cutter will re cut the spot face as needed.
    Perfect rocker action will ensue.
    Appologies to anyone I misled.
    Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Hi Steve, That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I've made my self crazy at times trying to eliminate rocker bind. Do you think it would also help if the nut side of the fork flattened section was machined as well, so that both surfaces are parallel?

Comment

Hi Toprock.
      When I was experimenting with the straightening jig, I found that the flattened section is relatively easy to straighten so that would be done during the straightening procedure. But if you make the tool like I designed it, the head is removable and held to the shaft with a grub screw. You could solve the binding issue without removing the fork from a bike.

In the scenario you are proposing, loosen the grub screw remove the cutting fixture from the shaft, slide the shaft through one hole, fit cutting fixture (face out), slide shaft all the way through the other side, tighten fixture near leg to be cut and fire away until a full, clean, face is cut for the nut to snug up to.
      Make sure the cutting head has 3 teeth. This will stop the head from oscillating. Maybe oscillating is not the correct term, but hope you get the idea.
      Regards Steve
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
      X