Knucklehead De-Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knucklehead De-Mod

Has anyone here reverse modified knucklehead heads from the old Panhead jug modification?

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard and I can think of a couple of different ways I might approach the problem. But rather than "re-invent the wheel" so to speak I figured someone here has done this and would be willing to pass on lessons learned.

For those who might not know what I'm talking about; back in the days before aftermarket suppliers (God bless capitalism), replacement knuck jugs were getting scarce and someone realized that the new panhead jugs would almost work. The only thing one had to do was re-locate one of the head bolts that was off by a half hole or so. They ran a bolt down, cut it flush and re-drilled a new hole in the head to match the panhead cylinder hole pattern.

So anyway I'm looking to go back to knucklehead cylinders and the fork in the road is whether to:

1) Run a bolt down, cut flush and drill and tap the original bolt hole? I can think of a couple of potential problems with this, namely unless the thread cut matches exactly, it seems like one would have a junk hole (in terms of not being able to reach torque) and I don't know if 7/16-16 helicoils exist although 7/16-20 do.

2) Easy out the original cut off bolt first and then plug the panhead hole. Then it's just a matter of cutting back the part of the plug and I'd have good threads for most of the hole to index the tap from.

I'm leaning towards #2 at this point but I thought I'd ask.
    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

7/16-16 heli-coils are readily available. A bolt can be made of cast iron to fill the Pan bolt hole and the whole process reversed. Old cast iron window sash weights make good donor material.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      7/16-16 heli-coils are readily available. A bolt can be made of cast iron to fill the Pan bolt hole and the whole process reversed. Old cast iron window sash weights make good donor material.
      Where does one find such heli-coil. I'm looking to do the same thing.

Comment

look at thread serts instead of helicoils-may take larger hole but better for torqued holes

Comment

I've done this many times. What works for me is to remove the cut off bolt in the original hole, and re-tap the relocated hole with the original thread (7/16- 16). The panhead hole was usually threaded with the later pitch (20 tpi) so it will leave a viable threaded hole. Set the depth of the bolt to be cut off to the best alignment to the original threads and install the bolt with sleeve retainer. After milling the plug flush just run the knuck thread tap in the original hole. All this is best done with the head rigidly fixed to the mill bed. As the panhead location just barely extends into the original hole, you should end up with threaded hole that will hold up well. if there is a failure to get good threads for any reason, the heli-coil is the next step. Eastern motorcycle parts offers the helicoils.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Originally posted by cdndewey View Post
            Where does one find such heli-coil. I'm looking to do the same thing.
            After many clicks of searching with most people selling 7/16-16 helicoil kits from $192 - $240 and up, I finally ran across these guys: http://www.rivetsinstock.com/thread-repair-kits.html
            kit # RC-34078-16 for $54.75 plus shipping which is twice as much as those kits usually run but still WAAAAAYY better than the other guys.
            I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Comment

Originally posted by koanes View Post
              Set the depth of the bolt to be cut off to the best alignment to the original threads and install the bolt with sleeve retainer.
              Thank you Koanes & Rubone, I didn't think about using cast for the plug as opposed to just using a bolt...good idea. Setting the plug to align with the original threads...NICE. I'm guessing the "sleeve retainer" you are talking about is locktite.

Comment

If you are going to use cast iron as a plug, you might want to check out McMaster Carr. They have a good sampling of cast iron rods, and tell you their properties, and uses.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3718
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                  look at thread serts instead of helicoils-may take larger hole but better for torqued holes
                  Okay, I gotta ask what you are basing this on. Both are good and both have their advantages/disadvantages. It's almost impossible to make a sweeping general statement as to which fastener repair system is stronger, because there are way too many variables that effect their ultimate strength. Typically I would choose a Keensert for something that gets taken apart a lot but to say that it's categorically better for torqued (fastener) holes is a stretch.

Comment

Folks,

I'd like to hear others' experience upon machining pig-iron window weights.

Thanks in advance as always,

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Inserts are commonly used in block to mount head to blocks on Mercedes aluminum blocks.I have done that job many times.Also used them on Indian & HD head bolts that mount the motor mount-If you don't like them I'm ok with that don't use them.
                      Everybody I know that used window weights was for throw lines for Big Flatheads[fishing]

Comment

Working...
                      X