Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify Brake Shoes & Linings

DSCN2863.jpgDSCN2864.jpgDSCN2864.jpg

Can anyone tell me what these brake shoes are for (maybe you VL, UL and Servicar guys)? The look like OHV mechanical shoes and linings, but they take seven rivets and the linings are longer than panhead and knucklehead linings. Also, when I disassembled them from the backing plate (same backing plate as pan & knuckle) I noticed a different (heavier) stud as the anchor pin and a heavier return spring than the pan/knuckle. I show these parts in the attached photos (IF I attached them correctly). The photos also show the shorter pan/knuckle replacement linings next to the linings that I removed from the subject shoes.
    Thanks...
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Dear Bill, the stud looks like the 1935/6 VL one and the spring could be 4048-30 used on the VL rear brake next to the stud. It's easier to look at the casting numbers on the brake shoes. The VL has 293-30 spread across the two shoes for 1930, then 293-31 for 1931-36 when the thicker linings were fitted. I think the UL ones are 293-38 but with the top cover and cotter pin used on the pivot stud.

Comment

Thank you Steve - I'll take a look at the casting numbers...
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

The casting numbers appear to be 294-31. Any Ideas?? Maybe a slight modification in the casting to 293-31 ??
        Last edited by billpedalino; 09-07-2015, 11:19 AM.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Dear Bill, more like my memory failure. Those will be the 1931-36 VL rear brake shoes.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'll probably try to sell them at Jefferson and I want to properly identify them...
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, where are you set up at Jefferson? I'd like to come by and meet you. It's nice to put a face to a name! Dale

Comment

I'm not sure yet Dale - I haven't reserved yet, but I'll most likely be next to the H.D. Generator guys - Rich Brown Jr. and Senior.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                X