Seat Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Posts

The last couple of nights I have been doing a couple of seat post rebuilds and ended up with a few questions. In this photo is a view of the upper end of 1936 to 1957 seat posts. I was curious as to when the seat post with the threaded on top was used. I had always assumed that the top was silver soldered to the tube. I have a theory on this but will hold off so that I can hear what you all have for ideas.

I happened to have a junk post so I tried to unscrew it with no success so then I put the top of the post in the lathe and made small successive passes until I could in fact see the braze. You can actually see the braze line in the center seat post in the above picture.

The second question pertains to when did they change the chamfer on the top from a rounded chamfer to a straight 45 degree chamfer. I checked my original 47 EL and 48 FL and they both have the rounded chamfer.

The third question is when did they change the fitting that screws into the bottom of the post and acts as a guide for the spring rod. There is actually a third one that has no provision to be unscrewed with a tool but every post I had with this type of rod guide was for a later swing arm seat post.

Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 08-20-2015, 05:39 AM.

Hi Wheels.
    I have a few greasy seat posts, but I have never noticed, nor looked for a threaded top before.
    Did you notice it by chance?
    Im betting there will be a lot of rummaging in Seatpost boxes all around the world tonight.

I can't help in the debate, but will be looking on with interest.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
      Hi Wheels.
      I have a few greasy seat posts, but I have never noticed, nor looked for a threaded top before.
      Did you notice it by chance?
      Im betting there will be a lot of rummaging in Seatpost boxes all around the world tonight.

I can't help in the debate, but will be looking on with interest.
      Steve I just happened to notice it by accident. I have a whole bunch of seat posts laying around and I think it is the only one I have. See you at Davenport. If you have time you should stop over.

Jerry

Comment

Come on guys - I was hoping for some input on this. I hate to think I stumped all of you. Jerry

Comment

We see this all the time.Untill somebody points out a difference in part design nobody cares,because nobody noticed.I think you could stump us many times over Jerry

Comment

165 views in 24 hours and no replies.
            You struck gold in the category of "Well bugger me!! I didn't know that!! "

I rummaged, got dirty, and found that I had 2 that might be brazed.
            Another that I thought had a bigger part line and may unscrew , but wouldn't budge in the vice.
            And 2 that I thought are swing arm Pan.

At some time in the past, there was a discussion on one of the forums about seat post tops.
            I can't remember the exact nature of the inquirey but somebody asked about the difference in size of the chamfer in the pin that holds the pivot in place.

Keep digging Jerry.
            Steve Little
            Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
            X