Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 Transmission lid

Hi.
    I am about to build a trans for my 38 Knuckle project.
    I have a small collection of transmission cases, and lids, and over the years I have been using these lids and cases for different projects.
    The transmission case I will be using, has a date code D8 and a brass 5th mount.

When I was running my frame business it swallowed up all my daylight hours and some of my not so daylight hours. This meant I had very little time to work on my personal projects.
    Quite often I worked on the “Just in Time” concept for my bike maintainence and building, which isn’t the comfortable way of doing anything.

At one time I used the F8 lid on a spare gearbox while I rebuilt the original gearbox on my 51 Pan. Pictured.

Hence, I have changed the configuration of the shift drums and gears in the lids.
    I used to remember this type of information easily, but I think my mind has been defragging, and chucking out information I haven’t called upon for a while.
    Anyone know which of these trans lids is 1938?
    Both lids are sand cast and one has the part number 33-35 cast in relief.
    Both lids have date codes, M8, and F8.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

The F8 could possibly be a very late 1938. But not likely as that would be June of 38 which is the change over month. It could also be a part cast in 1948. Please show the outside around the shift lever. The M8 is November/December 38 and definitely a 1939 model part. What is the part number on the drum?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      The F8 could possibly be a very late 1938. But not likely as that would be June of 38 which is the change over month. It could also be a part cast in 1948. Please show the outside around the shift lever. The M8 is November/December 38 and definitely a 1939 model part. What is the part number on the drum?
      Chris refer Steve to page 414 of Bruce's new book, the one he pictures in his post on left is as cast with no relief for the shift arm to be down and appears correct for 1938 date code. As for the right side the M8 sure has the cast in shapes of the flats and relief of a 1948 (it also appears maybe some one used the longer threaded bolt and nut on shift rod end causing some damage or wear). Different picture would help be sure.

Shelby

Comment

The way they are assembled now the shift pattern on the left one is '47 up.....
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          The way they are assembled now the shift pattern on the left one is '47 up.....
          You are correct but turn the arm 180 degrees it will be properly assembled for early, Shift Drum does not care only shift gate

Comment

My thought is that the lid on the left is the early one. Most every 47 and up lid I have seen has the double reliefs for the now downward facing shifting arm.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for the information to date.
              For the configuration of the shift drum and lever, see my description in the original post:
              At one time I used the F8 lid on a spare gearbox while I rebuilt the original gearbox on my 51 Pan.
              Hence, I have changed the configuration of the drums and gears in the lids.

The lids are in exact placement as previous picture...just flipped over. The little termite hole in the end of the casting is foriegn.
              I know this because, I drilled it to use a pin punch to remove a stubborn shift drum shaft.

Thanks in advance.
              Steve
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

The lid on the right is definitely 1947 and up with those two reliefs under the shifting arm. Jerry

Comment

Thanks to all for the input.
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                  X