leaking intake nipples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdminGuy
    I'd like to know also! Why in the middle? Was this just ANOTHER H-D experiment gone horribly wrong? Hee-hee....

Maybe the thought process was to have a smaller gap between 1,2 for smoother around town police work?

Carl has a burg, cream 39, http://www.carlscyclesupply.com/photos.html
    Vince in CA has a Blk, cream. I rode with Vince in SD and informed him that his 39 may go missing for a short period of time when he's not paying attention. His is set up really nice. It's a runner!
    Years ago I found a mint original 1939 EL model in central Wis. that the guy's dad had ridden to Texas and then parked. It was a beauty. I wonder whatever happened to it?

At that time I found another, I think 1946, Knucklehead in a barn with 14,000 original miles on it and it was another beauty. Neither guy was selling.

Back then (very early 70s) you could still buy ratty original Knuckleheads for $400-500 around Milwaukee, but then they were GONE!

===================
    Harley's Baby Years and More!
    At the Creation

Comment

Yup- apparently still in demand. Nice bikes.

Comment

okay then

well, i am going to add to this thread!

what i am curious about is, how well do the nipples threaded into the head seal?
        i would think they need to seal perfectly, but what is used to seal them?

as I just bought a knuckle
        (**** YEAH!!!!!, IM STOKED!!!!!)
        and will be doing some major custom work to the motor and that work involves making intakes that thread into the head themselves to mount carbs to..., i am also curious as to what material i should make them out of, as i feel they should be steel as that will cut down on the expansion problems i suspect i will have with aluminum intakes.

but i would rather make them out of aluminum...

its a 47 fl and id rather run 61" flywheels in it...
        anybody want to trade?

i am SO STOKED to be building a knuckle.

Comment

Dave is just getting his going properly. Nice bike! pho attched. Needs a few things but it's lookin pretty darn good.

Carl has some good shots - the first one is halarious.
          http://www.carlscyclesupply.com/photos.html

Wouldn't you pressure test what you've got first?
          I've seen a few knuckles that have been messed with - I personally feel it's unnesessary and devalues the bike. And for gosh sakes - strip that 70s chrome off if you've got it. Yuk!

maybe we can get a few knowledgable folks to chime in here.

Oh YA! CONGRATS! Knucks rule! I need one. An earily one pref. Someday maybe.
          Attached Files

Comment

ChopperDave!

Indian used a sealer, but I cannot be certain about H-D.
            In modern times, we have "Fluid-Weld" from http://silver-seal.com/, as I mentioned at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

I suggest sticking with the original design, as now that PEEK is being used in place of brass ferrules, the assembly is superior to o-ring or rubber appliances.

Nipple replacement can be quite difficult, and destructive if not performed correctly. If they don't leak, don't fix them!

Comment

And for gosh sakes - strip that 70s chrome off if you've got it. Yuk!

Just wait till you see the "new" all black knuck Paul. Oh yeah the chrome is long gone.

dave.

Comment

I'm diggin it already brother!

An orig. repainted intact, running (sort of) 28-101 just surfaced in my neighbourhood. I did! I fell off my chair. He's a guy my age and he wants to ride it regularly. Very cool. I'm happy to help him. He's new to the antique scene and inherited the bike. How cool is that. maybe another story brewing here. Hes gotta join the club now & the 101 club.

A modern HD industry friend introduced us.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X