Wrong Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Seat?

Just a Question. I lost two points during a judging event last year due to an improper seat. It was the standard solo saddle that harley has used from '29. It was on a 47 fl. Anyone know why? It does not have a skirt. Is this improper? Thanks, Joe.

You can still go into Harley today and buy the -29 seat with no skirt (well you could a couple years ago I know). But it won't be right for use on a restoration. It has nylon webbing riveted to the seat pan (for the cover to be sewn to) for one thing. Back when these bikes were new, that was leather. There are numerous variants of the seat over the years, (eg: 30's had no vent holes, open edged seam into the 40s, etc.). I suspect you simply have the wrong variant for your year and, while close, it's not close enough ... Perry

Comment

seat

Thanks Perry. You don't happen to have a correct one for sale do ya? Joe

Comment

No seats for sale here. When I did my 46 U the saddle came from:
        http://www.45partsdepot.com/45parts/index45parts.html
        I was happy with the price and quality. I'm sure there are other vendors as well ... Perry

Comment

Joe--The proper seat for a 47 FL would be one of 3 choices: Deluxe buddy seat, deluxe solo seat, or a standard solo seat. I think the problem with the seat that you have is that it is the early thin pad version using 1/2--3/4 inch foam. In 1940, when Harley introduced the first true deluxe solo seat ( the first deluxe solo was 1939 , it was a thin pad with an added skirt) the padding was increased to 1 3/4 --2 inch foam. At that time, the padding on the standard solo was increased to about 1 1/4 inches in thickness. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Worsham Castle Cycle Leather www.worshamcastle.com can help you out with a seat.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I just don't want to throw money into another wrong seat!

Comment

Working...
              X