Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL Rocker Box Disassembly

Hello,

I just recently got ahold of my first knucklehead(dream come true!). I have broke down the top end to fix some oil leaks at the valve cover tin gaskets and suction return pipes. However, while breaking down the heads I am unable to break the big rocker shaft end nuts loose. The only way I can see to get the big end caps on the right side loose is to grip the left hand of the shaft with a vise grip in some way, but I really don't want to do this if I don't have to. I've also tried putting the assembly back together and tightening the left hand side but still can't break the caps loose without the shaft spinning. Is there a trick to breaking these free after years in the shed? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Remove the 3 Rocker housing mounting Bolts and the two left side nuts from the shafts and slide the complete intact rocker assy off of the head.
    Then double nut the left side and tighten the nuts to lock them together. Add a little heat (from a propane torch only) to the chrome end caps centers a few times and let them expand and cool. expand and cool. Then try holding the double nuts with one wrench and use another wrench to try and loosen the end cap. usually works for me.

Comment

For really stubborn nuts I do as 46EL suggests, removing the rocker box assembly, but I will insert the shaft in a steel plate with a 7/16' hole and tighten to the plate, then secure the plate in a vice. A quick hit with any air or electric impact will buzz the big nut right off. One should avoid over tightening the left side nuts when assembled to the head as you will damage the lower tin.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

When you get it apart, look at the nuts to see if they are original or aftermarket. Originals used a brass washer to seal against the rocker box, and aftermarket are cut for an o-ring. I've found that the repops need to be tapped with a bottoming tap, or they will tighten onto the shafts and be difficult to remove.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I've used a lot of these tricks on repairs around the shop/equipment but wasn't sure how aggressive to get with these old heads. I've got three of them out but can't get the fourth. Soaking in penetrating oil over night and I'll give it a shot tomorrow. knuckleheadtim, thanks for the info on the nuts and glad to see that mine are originals with washers.

Comment

Working...
          X