X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 update

Good evening.

Well, it is Easter and the knuck runs!

I put clear oil lines on so I could see the oil flow, in addition to what the oil pressure indicator light was telling me.

Started. Runs good. Oil pressure indicator light went off as soon as the oil was moving, I'd say, instantly, showing I had pressure. Oil moving out of the oil pump return towards the cooler and oil filter. Oil was not getting to the tank, and only slowly to the filter, just a dribble coming out. When bike warmed up, oil pressure light came back on. Stopped the bike, out of fear. Then thought, "well, at idle, maybe not enough RPM to move the oil." Had the oil pressure relief screw at exactly 3/8" measured with my micrometer from the outside of the fitting. Turned that in 1/2 turn, not measured inch-wise, just 1/2 turn. Started the bike. At high idle, oil moves and the light is off, let it drop to normal idle, and the light comes back on and it appears the oil is not moving. Oil has not yet made the transit back to the tank, but is coming out of the filter. I have probably 4 feet of oil line: Return from pump to inlet for cooler on the front down tube, then back to the oil filter which is behind the oil tank which would be a swing arm if there was one, then up to the tank that is under the seat, then down to the feed line to the pump. Lot of line, lot to overcome, maybe.GEDC4810.jpgGEDC4811.jpgGEDC4812.jpg

Guidance?

Thank you.

Was basically afraid to run it long enough to see if it still was "oiling" all over the top, like before, but a cursory glance tells me it is not, or at least, not as bad. I did not clean all the old oil off, but it did not look too bad. So, the "weep" I see under the front exhaust rocker COULD be residual that moved into view when the top got warm. But, probably a leak, to be brutally honest! :-( But, again, I did not run it long, really.

Thank you all for your help and I would certainly appreciate guidance on the pressure, or lack thereof, at idle. Do not have a pressure gauge, just the indicator light.

Happy Easter.

Bob
Working...
X