Two-hole vs. Three Hole Rear Stand Catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-hole vs. Three Hole Rear Stand Catch

It seems that the two-hole rear stand catch is correct for knuckleheads/big twins (36-57), but I ran into someone who suggested that early knuckleheads had a 3-hole catch. Is that right? I think there was a 20's-30's rear catch that was a three-hole, but didn't think it lasted into the late 30's. I have a 1940 knuckle that I am putting together, and am wondering if I am incorrect with a two-hole catch. Any insights?

Thanks,
    Vic
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

Vic- I can't tell you what is correct but I can tell you this from what I see;
    I just put together a rear flap for a 55-57 style taillamp.
    The already drilled catch bolt pattern in the flap needed a 3 hole catch. The top and bottom holes on the catch matched the flap.
    So the middle hole is not used. A two hole catch did not match any which way or how and could not be used.
    Also looking at a very original rear flap with a 39-46 taillamp it has the two hole catch.
    Looking at a very old original 36 rear flap I have it has a 3 hole catch but the top hole is not used and a two hole would fit just like the 39-46 one would.
    MY GUESS from what I SEE is the 3 hole is designed for later 55-57 style and was made so it could be used for early by adding the upper length and the hole that comes with it. I hope this didn't confuse you. Jp

Comment

Working...
    X