engine temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine temp

Has anyone on here ever taken heat readings on their knuckle, curious so I did, here are the results.

96 degree day
    30 mile ride
    50w oil as I`m still breaking it in

temps taken right after engine shut down with an infrared heatgun

engine oil-126 degrees
    engine case-200 degrees
    rear head-313 degrees
    rear cyl-274 degrees
    front head 307 degrees
    front cyl-259 degrees

I'm surprised the oil was that cool. On my modern Harley (with an oil cooler) it runs at 230.

Comment

Knuckleheads have minimal oil circulation to the heads. Your late model heads are literally bathed in oil. Side valve oil runs even cooler.

Jerry
      Originally posted by rousseau View Post
      I'm surprised the oil was that cool. On my modern Harley (with an oil cooler) it runs at 230.

Comment

My late model HD always runs at 200 + in the summer so that really is a low temp. 30 mile ride it should be at temp so that is not an issue.
        #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Just to be clear, I was not suggesting that something may be wrong. I'm just simply amazed that the new bikes (103 inch with an oil cooler) has a 100 degree hotter oil temp.

Comment

Took temps again, this time I used my automotive thermometer, it read 130 degrees, was a longer ride and a much hotter day, cyl head temps were up but everything else was pretty much the same. My 02 springer runs around 200 degrees. Not sure why the big diff, frankly I was expecting the oil temp to be much higher especially since the next reading had the heads at nearly 385 degrees. I do have it plumbed with copper lines and with a remote mounted filter that gets lots of air and is away from engine. 41/2 qt oil tank....but I wouldnt think that would relate a huge diff. Would be interested to know what someone elses knuckle temps are

Comment

wooops, thats still true, even though head temps were, up as said, there isnt much oil up top.........crank case, gear case and those temps are comparable to my twin cam and shovel

Comment

Working...
              X