Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-speed, locks up

Well crap,
    Took a friends 4-speed apart for a fourth gear and mainshaft seal replacement. Seal was leaking very badly and fourth gear had previously been machined down and an oversized bushing installed and honed to fit. At that time a new race was installed and fitted with new bearings, all about 8 yrs ago.
    Anyway, installed new forth gear with new fitted bearings, new seal and cork and thrust washer, forth gear bushing honed to main shaft. Everything else stayed the same, trans was operating fine BEFORE.
    Reassy everything and tested for shift operation, everything smooth, all four gears up and down shifted good.
    Started bike and went to test gear operation, shifted to first smooth, went to let clutch out a bit and trans locked and engine died, tried again in second gear shift same result. Took clutch disks out and went through gears turning by hand, smooth in and out, all gears. Checked shifter forks and forth gear shifter clutch, third gear lock ring, everything looks and feels smooth.
    Any thoughts on where I went wrong before I tear it back down, thnx.............

Fixed it,
    If anyone is interested, tore it back down to just mainshaft assy , when I removed counter shaft I saw the issue, A fastener, 3/8" nut, had fallen in the bottom and was jamming the forth gear. I dont even know where it came from, wasnt missing any. Oh well there was zero damage, never tried powering thru it, tire was always off the lift. Thought I had checked thoroughly, guess not. Works great like it should, Another lesson.....

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the post. Sometimes it's the completely unexpected.
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

Originally posted by poorbiker View Post
        Fixed it,
        If anyone is interested, tore it back down to just mainshaft assy , when I removed counter shaft I saw the issue, A fastener, 3/8" nut, had fallen in the bottom and was jamming the forth gear. I dont even know where it came from, wasnt missing any. Oh well there was zero damage, never tried powering thru it, tire was always off the lift. Thought I had checked thoroughly, guess not. Works great like it should, Another lesson.....
        Do you have small children? sometimes small hands want to help, Had that problem with my son while overhauling 305 scrambler, nut down intake port would bounce between valve and carb slide, dinging slide when it started so throttle would not work, took several times before I looked down port with carb off and found extra nut. Glad it was too big to go under valve. Shelby

Comment

Wow Lucky do damage. Jerry

Comment

Working...
          X