Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine break in

Taking a poll,
    Most of us on this site build our own engines, opinions are all over on what is considered proper. I have my own view, however just cause lets see if we can get a consensus on what has worked for you, by the book, ride it like you stole it, or somewhere between. I`m not a fan of easy break ins, cyl pressure is what expands rings against cross hatching to seat rings. I prefer heat cycling and varying speed for the first 1000, then under top speed the next 1000. Then hopefully no issues for the next 85 thousand miles, or there abouts......

Proper warm up of the engine, heat cycles, no lugging or over revving, lots of clean oil, and most important, proper assembly. The rings will seat themselves usually within the fist 20-50 miles if properly setup, so that is not an issue. Give the parts some time to get friendly with one another and they will remain friends for a long time.
    Carl
    http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

couldnt agree more Carl.....

Comment

Some time ago I had just completed a fresh top end on my 93" knuckle and was talking to my wife about the break in period and how this would require that we ride on cool evenings and not ride her together for the first 1000-1200 miles as the additional weight would cause excessive heat, wear and lugging. She gave me "the look".
        Un known to me she had called my friend Tad who was a Harley Factory Tech for many many years and asked him. "I dont understand, how does ****swello know I weigh 155 pounds and that i'm not a 100 pound teenybopper?". To which he replied," Questions like that require an additional 500 miles of break in".
        Go Tad!

Comment

Working...
        X