Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Breather tube PCV installation when using belt Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Breather tube PCV installation when using belt Drive?

I saw a posting awhile ago that has had me pondering.

Its been stated that when you went to a belt drive system, you should route the engine breather tube down the outside of the innner primary and there is a nice piece of hardware one of the fellows on this site makes for that. One of the guys on the forum stated you shoudl place a PCV (Positive Crankase ventilation) valve on the end of the pipe to prevent dirt being sucked back in. Sounds good, but I beleive these valves only breath one way ie out, would the engine not need to breath both in and out or is this the part I am missing? Perhaps there is another source for air into the crankcase?

I am specifically thinking about the earley 40's overhead valve engine.

Bob
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

I've just rerouted the breather hose to blow onto the drive chain, after turning off the chain oiler. Been doing this since the 70s without problems.
    VPH-D

Comment

I guess what really got me to thinking, was if the engine breaths in and out and one was ridding on a dirt road it might be advisable to have some sort of blockadge to the dust.
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

This why later on when they ran it out the the case, they put a breather screen on it. Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

this is how I did the crankcase breather on mine with an open belt drive.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Bob, I had no idea breather screens were fitted at a later date.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

On '65 and up FL's and all Sportsters, the MOCO just pointed the pipe uncovered to the ground!

Comment

Folks,

I lost count of the dirt and oil plugged breather filter gimmicks that I pulled and tossed.

Its not a "better" idea.

The motor needs to breathe.

And if the machine sits for any period of time, sumped oil makes it worse. If you have a sprocketshaft seal for a belt drive, the whole motor can fill up.

Some things the MOCO got right.

.....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                X