Cad Spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cad Spokes

Does anyone know of a Manufacturer selling new plain steel, cadmium-plated spokes? I did find that V-Twin offers 18" cad plated spokes (P/N 45-0744), but I it appears that they are for the old flat-center rims as they are not listed as drop-center. Unfortunately, Buchannan also reports that they do not offer these spokes.

I have several sets of good OEM spokes. However, it seems that the cost of having used spokes re-plated has become exorbitant as it now exceeds the price of a new set of spokes, including Buchannan stainless steel spokes which I've used on many bikes for over 40 years.

I currently have glass beaded 18" stainless steel spokes on my knucklehead and I'm changing out the rims. If I can find reasonably priced cad spokes I will make the switch-over for increased accuracy. If not, the stainless steel spokes work just fine for me.

Thanks...
    Last edited by billpedalino; 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

There is more to the equation. If you plan to use your original nipples. The spokes have to be roll threaded not die cut. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

If you make up a simple holder out of 1/4 inch strap with threaded holes to screw 40 or 80 spokes into so the plater can just drop the whole thing into the tank, it should get cheaper.

Comment

Bob,
        Yes, I'm aware of that and I have a can of OEM nipples under my bench as well. Unfortunately, the high-quality Cad plater on Long Island gets a set price for each spoke and a price for each nipple. Years ago when I worked in the chopper business, we used to make a weekly drive from Long Island to G&H Plating (near you) to replenish our substantial chrome exchange. For spoke assemblies, we used to screw each nipple onto the spoke backwards for a better polishing and Hank charged us per 40-spoke/nipple set - and it was cheap. And that was for chrome. Once again, my sincere thanks to our all-knowing government Regulators. My, how things have changed! And yet I still retain this nonsensical need to continually date myself.....
        Bill P.
        Last edited by billpedalino; 02-23-2014, 04:11 PM.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, Yes, you are an old fart. LOL. But anyway, cad plating with clear iridite is very inexpensive if you do the prep work. It's plated in baskets and the pieces aren't even wired. I've used Suffolk Metal Finsishing in Bohemia and Nassa chrome in Mineola for cad. (they are both own by the same person). I strip the old cad off with muriatic acid, neutralize and then glass bead. Using a soft wire wheel a give the spokes and nipples a little shine. Leave the nipples off the spokes for plating as the cad build is minimal and not like chrome plating build up. Cad is priced by the lot so I usually wait till a have a pile parts accumalted.

Comment

Harley - I use Nassau Chrome for clear Cad as well - I'll have to have a chat with Pat !! Looks like I'll be doing some acid stripping as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, Your welcome. When the weather warms up, you have an invitation to come over and check out my toys. You'll remember me back from the 70's at Gil's shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                There is more to the equation. If you plan to use your original nipples. The spokes have to be roll threaded not die cut. Bob L
                Can you explain why? if the thread size is correct what is the difference?
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Harley - You're on! Its always a thrill to run into some of the old crowd! It's great to reminisce with others who lived some of those sme '60s and '70s Long Island experiences that I did. Let's do it.... I'm looking forward to it....
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

We have been selling cad spokes for 16s and 18s for a number of years now. We buy new chrome spokes and have the chrome stripped off, but leave the nickel on and cad plate over the top so if the spokes happen to rub against each other the protective nickel plating will prevent it from rusting. It turns out quite well and we have had excellent luck with them. They are priced at $100 for a set of 40.
                    Carl
                    http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      Can you explain why? if the thread size is correct what is the difference?
                      I have heard this before and am curious as to why also. I roll or 'form' tap parts and a standard screw will thread in. Form threading may be cleaner and possibly stronger but the thread pitch should still be the same, not? Thanks. Bob Rice #6738
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Cut, formed,rolled, will all produce the same thread. I think Bob is speaking from experience maybe mixing late metric thread nipples. Spoke stock that is rolled will have a slightly smaller diameter than a spoke that would get a cut thread. The spoke diameter determines the type of threading method. After thread forming, rolled or cut, both threads will have the same major and minor diameter.

Comment

Bill, Sounds good. I'll contact you when it warms up.

Comment

Howdy Bill,

Billmark in Dallas does superb military grade cad, the batch for m entire 41 Four to include its perfect original spokes/nipples was only a $100 or so a few years ago. Owned by a vintage m/c enthusiast, if you have a history of sending them pristine oil free parts they'll leave them in the pre-clean tanks for less tome which nearly eliminates surface etching.

By the way, never a real fan of stainless on vintage machines, I just throw that stuff in with the plain steel and it has cad'd out great. Have even plated stainless with one of Eastwood's copy cad battery powered plating kits. In 2000 I could not find a complete set of plain steel cheeseheads for my Vincent timing cover. In a pinch at the last minute before Bike Week, got some rather crappy looking stainless fillisters, chucked them one at a time in a drill laid against the side of a bench grinder, then flattened the faces, ScotchBrighted then ran them through copycad.

At the infield show at the vintage races on Monday another Vin guy strolls up, where'd you get those? My response was they were new. A few minutes later two judges are over there looking at them closet and I now hear them described as NOS and very hard to find....oh well.
                            Attached Files
                            Cheerio,
                            Peter
                            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Yes, there is a difference. Harley spoke treads are not a machine thread. Close but no cigar. The pitch is slightly off. I feel this had to do with HD’s proprietary bs. I think it was deliberately done. I have a bag of OEM NOS JD nipples. I call Bucanon and they sent me a sample spoke (Die threaded). As soon as I started to thread one of those nipples on it started to bind up. If I had continued it would have galled up the thread and I never would have gotten it off. If you’re using old HD nipples on die cut threads? For the most part why wouldn’t they work? They have been stretched out. Bob L
                              Last edited by Robert Luland; 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM. Reason: Illiterate!
                              AMCA #3149
                              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                              X