!940's rear axels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !940's rear axels

I have two rear axels that look to be 36-47 vintage. One matches the description and measurements in Palmer's book exactly. The other is the same length and diameter except at the head were the step that slides into the axel spacer is missing, there's also a bevel at the threaded end which is not present on the other axel. The axel without the step also has a hole drilled perpendicular to the shaft three inches from the threaded end. This hole intersects another drilled from the face of the threaded end through the center of the axel. Can someone tell me if the axel without the step is OEM and what the purpose of the holes are? I'll post a couple of pictures to help with the description.

It's a VL axle... hole is for grease fitting

Comment

Thanks, could it be used on a knuckle frame?

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
        It's a VL axle... hole is for grease fitting
        Hollywood - In reference to "hole" are you referring to the 1st photo, bottom axle with what looks like a hole about 2 or 2-1/2" from the left or thread end? I looked through Slocombe's book and see alemite fittings on the hubs (front & rear) but not the axles.
        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

axle

Hello Thats because its in the axle nut if you look closer .

Comment

Originally posted by diesel55 View Post
            Hello Thats because its in the axle nut if you look closer .
            Ahhh, I see the fitting on the axle nut now. So fitting feeds the hole in axle! Thanks
            William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
            http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Working...
            X