Brake Com Lubricant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Com Lubricant

I've been using white lithium grease (Libritech) on my mechanical brake cam lobes and shafts (big twin and Sportster) for many years. It's what most mechanics used for automobile brake jobs when I worked in gas station garages as a kid. However, I've always been afraid of over-lubricating and leaching onto the brake shoes surfaces, as opposed to under-lubricating and wearing the cam, brake show surfaces and bushing. So I only apply a very thin coat and hope it lubricates well and doesn't meander when things get hot. To that end, I've also always been VERY weary of applying grease to the backing plate bushing using a grease gun. Taking apart the rear wheel to simply check/re-lube the brake seems like an unnecessary and tedious task which I have less and less patience for as I get older.

Is there a newer and more reliable lubricant out there for this purpose than one can have confidence in?
    Last edited by billpedalino; 12-22-2013, 10:24 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

I've always used regular grease for this job, and have worried about meandering too. Less is more, I guess.
    VPH-D

Comment

Working...
    X