Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Overflowing in Sun

Hi
    I was at a local show over the weekend and my right tank started overflowing fuel. I had just gotten fuel on the way to the show so that did not help. I only filled the tanks up to 2" from the top but it seemed like the left tank filled the right tank them it overflowed when it was in the sun. My knuck is a rider not even close to a 90 point bike but I still love it. I bought a peek fuel shut off from Carl's and it works great but could this be the problem. I usually shut the fuel off before I stop the engine because it is a pain to get it started if it get loaded up. Anyhow left the show early and went riding not the worst thing
    Any body else have this problem, any suggestions
    Thanks
    Will

Will!

I feel your pain, as I lost my most favorite paint-job to aftermarket (V-TWIN) gascaps that suffered when the P4gas swoll the rubber seals to cover the vents. Thus the fuel expanded with no relief from the caps, and naturally pushed from the right tank to the left, to overflow.

Please inspect for the location of your cap's vents, and whether the gasket covers them.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Are you sure it was your right tank? The left side is the one that usually leaks when sitting on the side stand. It is very common and happens due to the tanks both being vented (which they must be, so do not block the left vent. Just get in the habit of running with a lower level unless you are actually going to be riding some distance. Or put it on the rear stand so it sits upright. The peek seal has nothing to do with it.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yep it the right tank. I put the bike on the center stand because I was in a field an I did not trust the side stand for an extended period.

Mr Cotten thanks for the tip, I did not think of that. My cap are mismatched and now that I think about that could be answer and an easy fix.
        Do you have a scorce for quailty replacement fuel caps?

Thanks again all
        Will

Comment

You probably don't need new fuel caps unless one is unvented. Chances are that you have rubber gaskets that are swelling up and blocking off the vent in the left cap, just like Cotten said. Trim some rubber away from the vent hole area or better yet find or make some leather gaskets. V-Twin has pretty good repop caps if you want some. They will no doubt come with poor quality gaskets though.
          Last edited by jwl; 11-05-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X