1946 Rear Fender wide braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 Rear Fender wide braces

When they changed the braces on the 46 fenders did they start pre drilling the rear fender gate to accept both the " Beehive" and the "Tombstone" tail lights or did the 46 fenders have only the holes drilled for the " Beehive" tail light . I have bought two so called 46 fenders and both were drilled for the two tail lights making me think they were either replacement fenders made after 47 or 47 fenders. Does anyone have a original 46 that they know is original that can answer this question for me. I really think I'm starting to become a little anal about some of this stuff.
    Thanks

I keep checking back every few days to see if anyone has posted an answer to the question about the drilling of the holes on the 1946 rear fender gate. So just cause the original date of thread is getting older . I am still searching for an answer. Thanks Very Much

Comment

Sidehacker,
      The stock '46 fender is drilled only for the early taillight, not the double drilled type. Also many of the stock '46 fenders have both wide and thin braces, a wide upper and thin to the hinged section. I have never seen an original '46 with tombstone mounting holes in it. Regretfully I do not have an example to picture for you. Perhaps someone else does.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Those are '50s replacement fenders-I have a 45" rear fender[NOS] with the holes for both tailamps, wide brace

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
          Those are '50s replacement fenders-I have a 45" rear fender[NOS] with the holes for both tailamps, wide brace
          From my experence with nos fenders of these years the taletail detail is the type of fender hinge used. 1946, 1947, 1948 can be determined with a combination of details. Replacment fenders produced later will have newest hinge. Early 1946 had narrow braces and drilled for early light, Like every part, Prototype parts were tried on assembly line for problems, and were made to retrofit when new models came out with where possible. Both Robbie and Duffy are quite knowlegable on the subject. Exceptions are the rule when talking about H-D Production line change overs, and spare parts issues. Just my thoughts, Shelby

Comment

Working...
          X