Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knuckle rear intake nipple leaking at head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckle rear intake nipple leaking at head.

On a new engine build 600 miles into break in,I noticed front plug rich,rear plug tan.I read Cotten's previous answer to a similar thread & made a setup to bolt to intake manifold.I introduced 8 lbs of nitrogen from bottle into manifold & found bubbles at rear nipple. I noticed a small O ring type material jutting out from nipple to head junction. Has anyone heard of a kit that includes O ring instead of just the metal nipple & rivet? It had a late model O ring adapter in the heads prior to having a shop rebuild engine. Also how do I repair leak at the nipple area once I remove this nipple,is there a sealant that goes over threads of new nipple upon install?I am running D14 plugs on this 61", w/M35. This plug read changes to normal after I wrapped electrical tape around rear nipple. thanks for your time, RR2

RR2!

An O-ring sounds like a Colony replacement, and folly in modern fuels of course. (Please note if the rivet is oversized as well.)

The original seal was achieved by a thin lip upon the head casting, which bites into the back of the nipple shoulder. Please inspect to see if it is intact, after the nipple is removed.
    (Other discussion on nipple replacement can be found at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html, including a simple tool for a rivet anvil.)

Although JBWeld has served many as a sealer for many years, it must cure several weeks or more to fully resist some modern fuels. S&S is now using Permatex's "The Right Stuff", and although it warns against use with fuels on the bottle, it survived miraculously well in my immersion tests last year.

Since the nut covers this seam, the nipple should be tested separately with a large stopper, or anything similar that can be improvised (attached). Please bump your pressure to 12 to 15 psi for certainty.

Good luck!

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-03-2013, 05:00 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I've used that "Right Stuff" for a few years on you name it. It's almost miracle material! I like your "improvisation" Cotten. It looks a little more user friendly than my...must use two hands... setup!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory!

I am now embarrassed by the 'improvisation', after chancing to see the price of Patron in the grocery store this morning.

It was supposed to inspire the frugal do-it-yourself-er.
        But not at $54 a bottle, plus tax!

Somehow, the tavern across the street goes through a bottle a week, at least.
        At Davenport, I offered nipple'd stoppers in four sizes at one-fourteenth of the price.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten!!!

Mmmm.. pricey corks! The folks that purchased your offerings at Davenport got themselves a deal!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks guys for the detailed info. I'll look for the RIGHT STUFF by Permatex. Would this be good for sealing the exhaust pipes also? I am using DOW 3145.

Comment

I don't know about using Right Stuff on your pipes. It skins up like rubber and I'm not sure it would handle that kind of heat. I just went out to the shop to look at a can of the "stuff" and it doesn't say you can't but I don't think I would. Whaddya figure Cotten?
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                I don't know about using Right Stuff on your pipes. It skins up like rubber and I'm not sure it would handle that kind of heat. I just went out to the shop to look at a can of the "stuff" and it doesn't say you can't but I don't think I would. Whaddya figure Cotten?
                I would be conjuring to even guess, Cory.

One could test it with a propane torch, but black high-temp silicone is proven for exhausts.

The price of "The Right Stuff" went up again at my local auto supply, "O'Reilly's", to nearly three times the price of a silicone goober.

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-06-2013, 06:53 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                X