What is it? oddball springer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it? oddball springer.

LOOKING for what others think it is. It has 1 inch stem long chevlons 5 1/2 inch appears to be XA or may be special usebuilt by factory. Highway in PHX thinks maybe NUCK racer because of length thought maybe 21 in with 45 spool ran for front wheel.
    Attached Files

25 years ago a guy told me about special (longer) springers that where built for knuckles and big twin U models that went to fight Rommel in the deserts of Africa. The extra length was for clearance in the sand. I don't know how much fact was in the story. Your rigid leg is a foreword sweep design.
    Last edited by Steve Little; 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

To the best of my knowledge...
      Yours is an actual XA fork - They had 1 inch stem with 45 inside rockers.
      There is also an ELC fork (Canadian Knuckle) that has a 1 inch stem and outside big twin rockers and a WLC that has a 7/8 stem with big twin outside rockers and finally a WLA that has a 7/8 stem with 45 inside rockers... I have an ELC fork on my 41 TT Knuckle and a WLC fork on my WLDR..I like the clearance....

Comment

41FLTT left side.jpgPhoto1666.jpg

here are pics of each...

Comment

AZ, I may take that back...I just noticed something in your picture...what is that measurement you have at the rocker stud of 14 1/2 inches? If that is from the top of the chevlon to the center of the rear rocker stud then that would mean that it is stock length...mine all measure just under 16 3/4 inches from the top of the chevlon to the center of the rear rocker stud...

Comment

HOLLYWOOD thanks for all the info.&thanks to all others for info,

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
            AZ, I may take that back...I just noticed something in your picture...what is that measurement you have at the rocker stud of 14 1/2 inches? If that is from the top of the chevlon to the center of the rear rocker stud then that would mean that it is stock length...mine all measure just under 16 3/4 inches from the top of the chevlon to the center of the rear rocker stud...
            THE length is stock length with long chevlons,thats what is causeing the confussion. Highway choppers in phx says the pinch at the bottom looks factory,so its not a xa that was shortened. HIGHways best guess is that its a factory special use springer made for a knuck racer that ran a 21 inch front wheel with a 45 hub.THEY say they never seen 1 like it but say its all factory built.

Comment

Thanks Steve, yes XA but mine is stock length with long chevlons . AND does not appear to be XA springer that was shortened

Comment

I can see the OD paint under the black. Obviously a WWII military model. Most likely some leftover XA type chevrons were picked up and used. During the war a lot of strange things happened. There were over 1800 U models made in 1942 about the same time the XA's were running off the line. Parts is parts.
                I once had a WLA speedometer that had never had the bezel tampered with. Yet inside of it was a 1936-1939 needle. They used what they had. Kinda like my May 1944 Inland Carbine. It has a Rock-ola trigger group in it. Check the book and you will find it was built that way as Inland was short of trigger groups and Rock-ola supplied them.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                X