Brake pedals and bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pedals and bushings

Hey guys I need to know the O.D. Of the foot brake bushing. I have a pedal that's wallered out and I need to know if I can clean it up easily or if it needs more surgery. This is for the 1946 foot brake pedal bushing. Thanks FNA

The pedal and stud run directly on each other, steel on steel. There is no bushing on an original pedal. It could be bored and one added though.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Colony makes oversize studs.
      Carl
      http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Thanks . All I had to work with was one original , that's all wallered out ( that's a term crossed between a mechanical engineer and a hillbilly ) so bad in fact that I couldn't tell anything about bushing, which makes since now since there isn't one . And two old repos that I got back in the early eighties from CCI I believe and one of those don't have a grease fitting so I wasn't sure. I think we are going to make a bushing and go that route . Has anyone else done that? We were talking brass today but my machinest is talking about a new material that can take a heavy load while being very thin. I'll take pictures tomorrow just In case it comes out perfect, but I'm very Irish so the probability of that is slight at best. Now since you can't see this once installed what does this do concerning points???
        The shaft on this pedal assembly is very tight with very little wear so I would hate to change it out with an oversized one because I don't want that dried puddle of weld rod on the back like a lot of them have . Thanks guys FNA

Comment

I replaced the stud on plate for my 46 with NOS and peaned in as original. I bored the pedal hole and installed a home made ampco 45 bronze bushing, finish sized to give .001 clearance. 20,000 miles later, still nice and tight, I hit all my fittings, with a shot of grease every 500 miles or so.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Hello have n.o.s military stud and washer .12.00 plus 3.00 shipping. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by diesel55 View Post
              Hello have n.o.s military stud and washer .12.00 plus 3.00 shipping. thanks
              Hi Diesel. Standard, or oversize?
              Steve Little
              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

I have been meaning to fix the sloppy brake lever on my 37 for a while. It seemed apt to launch into it this morning.
                I decided to try the easiest method first. Chuck onto the part that is to be bored.
                First problem I encountered was the clearance of footrest part of the lever to the compound slide.
                Meaning I had to hang the boring bar out a long way to achieve clearance. This then allowed the bar to micro bounce because the material is so hard.
                I think the brake lever is made of chrome moly because of the hardness and also the rigid nature of the brake lever itself.
                I abbandoned the lathe idea after the first cut because of the "pickup" in the bore, and set it in the mill so I could use a more rigid boring bar.
                Cleaned up the bore with 0.001" clearance.
                Truth be known...I was shooting for 0.0005" but in my mind I'm better than I actually am.
                I pacified myself by thinking the grease would'nt get past 0.0005" anyway.
                I used one of the Colony oversize shaft kits.
                Brake lever 001.JPGBrake lever 002.JPG
                For those of you who dont know, 1936 and 1937...(and maybe 1938?? but not sure on that), the shaft has a nut and thread to the backing plate instead of the usual, peening the end of the shaft.
                Last edited by Steve Little; 05-29-2013, 07:24 PM.
                Steve Little
                Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                Australia.
                AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                X