front drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front drum

47 front drum, what is the max dia. allowable run out. thnx.

Uh, was that a stupid question? Am I missing the answer in my manuals? Or as long as it stops......

Comment

Hi. I had a look in my workshop manual and I cant see where it makes mention of max diam.
      The engineers who designed it will have calculated the safe working diam but I am guessing they have all passed on.
      I am sure there is a maximum safe working limit to the drum, but I dont see it listed in my 1940-1947 manual
      Are you going to machine it out on a lathe? and if so, why?
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

HD sold + .030 thicker linings for use in drums that had been turned. I wouldn't remove too much more than than .060.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Okay thanks,.
          Put drum in lathe and check it for run out. It measures 7.256 on the small dia. and 7.294 on the large dia. Outside of drum is true, not bent. Odd wear. Considering a starting point of 7.250 (if that measurement was always exact) I wasnt sure how much material I could remove. Steve was thinking bout your question of why. Well no more than I really use the front brake it probably wouldnt be an issue. Mainly use it at a stop or hill at a stop.
          Sometimes boredom makes me anal, lol. Sounds like I will be ok to take off enough to true it up. Thnx Steve and Kyle.

Comment

Working...
          X