Right hand shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right hand shifts

Were right hand shifts a regular option or did they come on any particular models

Other than the prototype/limited 30's U models that they made to try to get the NYPD, I believe they we're Servi-Car only....and not all Servi-Car's of course.

I may be wrong but that's to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

I have a typed list of parts needed to convert 1935/6 74 and 80 cubic inch 3-speed bikes to right hand shift, which I take to be from the factory. For 1936-48 Big Twins the parts book shows on page 48 an exploded diagram of the parts needed to convert flatheads and overhead valve bikes to right hand shift. I have the crossover shaft 2215-37B nos for anyone interested in trying this. Even if not commonplace, the information was out there to make the right hand shift conversion. We can speculate this was for Police bikes where Harley were trying to replace Indian fleets, as for the 1936/7 VMG/UMG bikes with the New York Police Department.

Comment

As has been said, the parts were all available in the Spare Parts catalog. Particularly, the option was aimed at police departments, hoping to attract big fleets like the PDNY, traditionally an Indian customer, by offering RH shifting bikes so there would be no need for mass-retraining of their motor officers.

But anyone could order their Harley: 45 or Big Twin, with right-hand shift. The MoCo was glad to have another sale, even to someone used to "Indian shifting," to whom they could sell another Harley in the 1930s and '40s.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Most Servi-cars with right hand shift option were police traffic control units, so configured as to allow the rider to chalk tires while maintaining a constant speed. Most commercial units were regular left side shift. The right shift option for Big twins continued through the 1947 model year for OHV, 1948 for UL, and was then discontinued. ULs used a crossover rod under the tanks like a 45 and Knuckleheads used a crossover bolted to the rear motor mount and a pivot on the front rocker cap. Neither was a big seller.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

----------

1 right hand shift KnuckleHead.jpg

Comment

Iron,
              The shift gate you see on the photo you attached is, oddly enough, the same gate used on the 1947 knuckles. I suppose they needed to use up some parts. BTW, I have available a couple of the bellcranks that attach to the top of the case at the rear motor mounts. A friend reproduced them for my '47, includes the mount, shaft and the two levers. If interested, PM me.
              It takes a bit of focus to do the left-hand throttle, right-hand shift drill (unless you are an accomplished Indian rider).
              The UMG version that Steve mentions in post #3 above utilized an Indian-style clutch pedal arrangement, heel down to engage the clutch, as part of the package to create a police motorcycle built to the same specs, basically, as Indian. As far as that goes, it is like this: Indian - "heel to wheel", Harley - "toe to go".
              However, from the few photos I have seen, many of these used the standard Harley clutch pedal arrangement.
              If you are considering building such a motorcycle, please post some photos as you go along so we can watch your progress. The hardest part is rounding up the parts, the rest is a breeze.
              Lonnie Campbell #9908
              South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
              X