46fl Steering damper rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46fl Steering damper rod

Hi Guys , Soaked damper rod since sunday in pb blaster still froze tight ! broke off flush at the bottom and about 3inches in to the neck What are my options? I was thinking about drilling it out or i'm i gonna be sorry and ruin the tube. Or say hell with the the damper rod and ride it with out ? Big Mike

Those things get so full of rust that it is next to impossible to get them out. It must come out from the bottom. I have worn out hammers and drift punches trying to get them out. If you can get vise grips on it try twisting it. I don't know how you would drill it out without using a milling machine.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I drill them out regularly. the stem is hollow and much larger diameter than the rod. The problem lies in the step at the bottom of the stem where is goes through the lower bracket. For a short section it just slightly larger than the rod and that is where it freezes up. Start with a small drill and go progressively larger as it gets close to the actual diameter the upper portion of the rod will fall off. DO NOT beat on the top of the rod. due to the excess space in the stem it will just bend into an "S" shape and really get stuck. Just progressively drill the bottom and it will fall out. the tight spot is only about 1-1/2 inches long. No mill needed. This is not a precision assembly, just take care and try to remain as centered as possible. The final bit of the rod will fall out as it gets thin enough. Then just clean it all up and install the new rod and damper assembly. Note the step in the photo of the stem cross section.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Nice picture Robbie. Where did you get it?
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Guys for the the replies , will try drilling from the bottom . Do you know what size the damper rod is i got one ordered but none on hand. Thanks Big Mike

Comment

Big Mike,
            The rod is nominally 3/8ths.
            Robbie
            Last edited by Rubone; 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie , Great illustration ! Spent about two hours yesterday drilling i think about 3 inches into the bottom haven't hit rust yet ! Looking down the tube from the top is pack with rust been picking at it breaking it up . Ran out of sharp drill bits will go at i again today. Like i said i'm about 3in. into the bottom i'm i getting cllose! Big Mike

Comment

Sandys 47 8-14-11 077.jpgSandys 47 8-14-11 084.jpgSandys 47 8-14-11 086.jpg
                It may be too late but this is what mine looked like after drilling it out.It worked good as the others have said.

Comment

Sandys 47 8-14-11 077.jpgSandys 47 8-14-11 084.jpgSandys 47 8-14-11 086.jpg
                  It may be too late but this is what mine looked like after drilling it out.It worked good as the others have said.

Comment

Thanks 55, I had to drill mine out about 7 in broke off and froze up in the tube had to drill it all the way.Thought it might free up at some point but it didn't used a 12in bit should i same several drill bits but shes out know ! Just waiting know for the steering damper rod assy to fit it .I,m thinking previous owner had 45 forks on a big twin fork tube stem mic's at .85 . is my assupation correct ? Big mike

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecar View Post
                      Thanks 55, I had to drill mine out about 7 in broke off and froze up in the tube had to drill it all the way.Thought it might free up at some point but it didn't used a 12in bit should i same several drill bits but shes out know ! Just waiting know for the steering damper rod assy to fit it .I,m thinking previous owner had 45 forks on a big twin fork tube stem mic's at .85 . is my assupation correct ? Big mike
                      Most likely wlc or servicar . Good luck with your project. John

Comment

Thanks for posting this thread and images.

One more good reason to have a check off list of points where CPC (corrosion prevention compound) should be srayed into neck cavities while the top tree is off or the steering head adjustment nut is removed to provide access to the opening where this adjustment rod is located.

Comment

Yes Thanks to all for the great info photos and diagrams.Some of these manuals for the older bikes are very poor in illustrations . Big Mike Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                          X