J. Ramsey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J. Ramsey

I'm reassembling the springer front end on my '47 Knucklehead and have discovered that the two sets of inner springs, which look very similar, need to be put back in the right location. Which set goes in the upper location -- the ones that are slightly bent (I assume to prevent rattling on the shaft) -- or the ones that are straight?

Also, am I correct that the serial number on the rear fork leg should face back toward the frame?

Any guidance would be appreciated, as always.

JR
    Jim Ramsey

Jim,
    Standard inner springs are ALL curved for the '47 fork. No straight ones (the only exception being Sidecar inners which are full length and large OD). If you have stright inners they are most likely from a VL which used a flat spring buffer to prevent rattles.
    The upper inner springs are shorter than the lowers and are a slightly smaller diameter wire as well.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you very much.
      Jim Ramsey

Comment

Jim,

As Robbie said the springs are curved except for the side car springs. I run both upper and lower inner springs on my knuckles and do run the larger lower inner springs on my 41 knuckle with a side car. Some only run the outers but I have found that running both inners and outers and both upper and lowers works best for me. I run a shock ( not much good there) on my 47 but run ride control units on the rest.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA # 12766

Comment

Working...
        X