knuckle primary leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knuckle primary leak

47 cleaning 366.jpgStill leaks after new gasket ? does anyone use silicone also. Its leaking from between inner and outer primary before it has a chance to drip from drain pipe, which is clear
    thanks
    Last edited by 55tmm; 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot pic

After tearing apart the primary on my Pan last summer, the cork gasket was clearly toast. I wasn't letting that hold me back from riding so I used a gasket sealant that basically turns to rubber. It filled in most of the imperfections and has worked reasonably well. Now I've only got a leak similar to yours....
    Last edited by c.o.; 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

That is a lot of oil. How high is your primary chain oiler adjusted? Several things can cause excess oil in the primary. Over oiling the chain, excessive blowby (bad rings, etc) since the crankcase breather exits into there, engine sumping allowing too much oil in the crankcases and blown into the primary. The primary covers were never intended to really seal, just direct whatever oil there was downhill. If you have that much oil on a regular basis then too much is getting in there. You need to figure out why it is there.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Leaky oil pump inlet check valve (ball and seat) is often the culpret in theses cases.... There is an extensive thread on this topic elsewhere on the forum, I believe under the Engine & Transmission Rebuilding section. You will have to search a bit.
        Last edited by billpedalino; 11-21-2012, 06:52 AM.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Does anyone know who sells burnishers for oil pump seat ?

Comment

Here's some background on burnishing from the glide forum...http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/se...&submit=Search

Comment

you might want to blow out the oiler first before going to burnishing. Starty the bike up, turn th eadjustment screw outwards while th ebike is running and let it blow out for a short time. Might want to have th eprimary cover off while doing this, connect a flexible hose to the breather tube and collect the excess so oil does not go all over the place.

Let the bike run and the oiler pump for a short time to blow out anything that might be causing seating interferance and then readjust the screw.

If it relieves the excess flow, you might of had something stuck in the system.

If this does not relieve the excess oil flow, then consider the options mentioned above.

Comment

It would be nice if a flat seat cutter were available, similar to the beveled cutter shown here...http://www.aerosharp.com/Harley%20seat%20cutters.htm After dressing the surface with the flat cutter, this beveled cutter could be used to create a narrow bevel. Probably not an option on an installed pump...
                Last edited by Panacea; 11-24-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Paul Friebus at American Cycle Fabrication has a fix for this but you need to send him your oil pump body. Some how he makes a new seat and installs it or machines the old one I can't remember which. He was going over a friends knuckle motor he was getting ready to rebuild for him and this was discussed. Paul says it fixes the check ball seating issue so no sumping. His number is (570-752-8715) or www.americancyclefab.com. The burnishing is only a tempoary fix and you will be doing it again soon and until it no longer works. His fix is for good.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA # 12766

Comment

Working...
                  X