47EL tranny gears recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47EL tranny gears recommendation

To generate some activity here on this site.

I need all new gears for my 47EL tranny. Can anyone recommend a setup ratio? Otherwise I'm going to go with the stock 3.0 - 1.23 Harley setup. Just wondering if I should do the 2.60-1.23, or 2.60 - 1.35 close ratio. I don't have any experience to fall back on for reference. Open to opinions and discussions of the pros and cons Thanks!
    AMCA 26656

47EL
    47WL

For foot shift or with a suicide clutch/jocky shift I'd say go for it unless it's on a heavy bike with a kinda weak motor. I was going to do the 2.60/1.35 in my 51 build (sorry to mention this on a Knuck thread) but changed my mind thinking about the taller overall gearing I want which combined with the taller 1st. would make slipping the rocker clutch in extended slow speeds a pain plus after winding 1st. out you go through 2nd. and 3rd. pretty fast and my opinion is that it may get old shifting with a tank shift.
    If you have a stroker or a really strong running motor and light weight chassis and like acceleration I'd do the 2.44:1 first gear and 25 th. or larger trans. sprocket. Hit 2nd. around 50 and 4th. around 90 and hang on.
    Kerry
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I spent over $1,700.00 for all new Andrews innerds for my trans.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I would use the 2:60 first rather than the 2:44. The latter ratio causes you to slip the clutch to get the bike going if you run 24 or more teeth on your trans sprocket. The close ratio third is a toss up, it makes your trans seem like a close ratio 3 speed box with fourth way out there. I've run several varieties of Andrews gears over the years, and have settled on the 2:60 first with stock ratios everywhere else as my favorite.
        If you need other gears for your trans, I'd buy all Andrews stuff. If you don't need much, at least get the shifter clutches. A new style [post 65] main drive gear with seal, is a good idea.
        I have sold/used Andrews cams and gears since the 70s, and found their stuff to be bullet proof.
        VPH-D

Comment

Outside of the tranny, I'm not sure, but isn't a "stock" set up is a 23 tooth engine sprocket, 37 tooth clutch basket sprocket and, a 22 tooth tranny sprocket, and a 51 tooth rear sprocket (on drum)? I guess this gives a comfortable 55-60 cruising speed? I am looking for a cruising speed of 65-75 on my 1940 EL, but don't want to give up too much acceleration. I don't mind a little more gap between gears to do the trick. I've thought of going to a 24T engine sprocket, but not sure how much that would give me ... should I also consider a change in Tranny Sprocket ... although that sounds like more work also? I guess there's so many permutations that you could achieve a similar result with many different combinations, but just wondering if someone has successfully accomplished my goal (reasonable acceleration and higher top end cruising speed) while minimizing the amount of alteration/work/cost. Suggestions on Tranny gears and sprocket combinations appreciated!
          Vic Ephrem
          AMCA #2590

Comment

I've heard the 23 motor and 23 trans is a nice setup and that's what I'm going to use and see how it does. A local friend has stock ratio gears and the 23/23 and says it performs well. I'm also decided to go with the 2.60 -1.35 close ratio gears inside the box. I have nothing to compare this too as I have not rode a vintage 4 speed as of yet. But I ask around alot.
            Last edited by tomcat1; 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM.
            AMCA 26656

47EL
            47WL

Comment

Be aware that running the 23 on the tranny will make the speedo read incorrectly. They are calibrated for the stock 22, so any change affects them. Nothing other than 22 was available from H-D until the '70s.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Stock early gearing, 23 motor, 22 trans gives you a final drive ratio of 3:73. Using a 23 on the trans cuts it down to 3:57, a nice improvement for the highway. You can also go to a 24 on the trans, for 3:42, but this gear makes a noticable impact on acceleration.
                Switching around the first gear ratios eliminates the 'truck' first gear of the older Big Twin transmisions.
                VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                X