Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake shaft lever

Hi.
    Anyone know the correct size hole for the left side brake lever which is bolted to the brake crossover shaft.
    I've just welded up the flogged holes.
    Anyone have a NOS lever to measure. The part number is 4077-36.
    Steve
    Attached Files
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Measured at 5/16"

Comment

brake 001.JPGHi Dewey.
      The rod is 5/16 diam but I am think the end of the rod is turned down to a smaller diam.
      It looks like the reduced diam of the turned section gave the bracket a shoulder to come up against.

99% of Harley mechanical design I admire, but this particular item seems a little under thought and suffered excessive wear.
      The location of this part probably made it a forgotten item during servicing, and unservicable for the average backyard mechanic.
      The general condition of these original brackets have pronounced to extreme elongation of the hole.
      Some brackets actually broke out through the end or re-welded.
      Although it was generaly covered in oil it was also covered in grit, which is probably why it lapped out.
      I ended up drilling them to 1/4" this morning and turned the rods to this diamater as well.
      Thanks for your reply.
      Steve
      Last edited by Steve Little; 07-23-2012, 11:11 PM.
      Steve Little
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

The one I measured didn't show any signs of wear. I know I have another one in my stash and when I find it I'll have a look at it and see what it is.

Comment

Steve and Dewey, I have some as Steve has stated that were almost totally cut though and ready to give. From a safety stand point. Harley blew it on this one. They should have had clevises at every contact point. The rod always concerned me more than the flag. I have some here that were worn down to an 1/8th of an inch. In a panic stop? You would have been a dead man. Bob L
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Hi Dewey and Bob. I might be able to identify the correct size of the shaft by the washer that goes on before the split pin. I will check out the parts manual when I start work this morning.
            Bob. That would be a frightening scenario. I recently rode my 37 knuckle out on a big ride and During the ride I passed through a big thunderstorm. My gear is good so I kept riding. I entered an area called 1000 hills and a sign said Steep decent and corners. 10 % grade. I went in very cautiously but the wet brakes and steep grade of the corner where over the ability of my wet brakes. I managed to pull her up just before the 12" deep culvert drain on the edge.
            That was with two working brakes. Be a sickly feeling finding one brake gone.
            Steve Little
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Dewey. You were right.
              I just checked my parts manual for the washer. part #0212.
              5/16'' x 9/16'' x 1/32'' plain steel washer.
              Wish I had thought of doing this before. Now I have to go over my work and adjust.
              Regards Steve
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

I've just checked some NOS 4077-30 levers and they all have a 9/32 hole in them.
                I don't know if the hole in the -36 was any different or not.
                A 9/32 drill is a snug fit in the hole and a 19/64 drill won't go through.
                I'm only guessing but maybe the end was turned down slightly to 9/32 prior to the bend being put in the rod.
                Attached Files
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks Thomo.
                  Interesting shape for the earlier part.
                  Was this part used on 36 EL models as a one year part or was it used for 36 R models
                  Regards Steve
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

It's on the VL's and I'm pretty sure it wasn't used on the knuckles.
                    The one on the R's is a totally different beast as it's a one piece casting that incorporates both left and right arms on the one piece.
                    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777
                    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                    X