Kicker Petal won't stay put

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicker Petal won't stay put

Is there an accepted solution to my kicker pedal to keep it from moving out to the kick position while I am ridding? I have thought of a couple measures but figure I would ask here first.

I do have the proper arm and the bolt with a bushing in the pedal pin itself, also I do have that spring washer which is cupped upwards (new), and mounted under the pedal pin. I have tightened the whole assembly very tight yet the pedal still wants to stick out.
    Last edited by NiteOwl; 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM. Reason: tried to correct spelling in title but can't edit it.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Hi, Bob. I added an extra spring washer to one I had that also had excessive wear on the arm. Tight fit, but it solved that problem!
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Hi Bob you could put more arch into the spring or put a spring loaded ball into the top of the kicker arm like what retains a socket to a ratchet. You would need to drill a small detent in the pedal to lock the ball in when it is turned into the no kick position. You could only see the detent when pedal is in the kick position.
      Jim D
      Jim D

Comment

Bob

Do as everybody else does put a little oil on it and let it open up and spin freely while you are crusing

joe

Comment

thank you for all the suggestions. I re-bent the spring and then pulled down harder on the bolt, it now has a good amount of friction. If it gets loose and is a nuisance I will most certainly add an extra shim, then if its again a problem I will do the small ball method. Thanks!
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

also check the fit of your ratchet cover. I don't own a knuck, by My ch has to have to have just the right amount of torque on each screw to return and stay.

Comment

Your gap is to wide for your pedal. Put some heat on it and crimp it to where the pedal fits just right..You should only need one spring washer. ;-)
              AMCA #765

Comment

Thanks, I got that sucker staying put now, and it pulls out nice to the kick position.
                Bob Beatty
                AMCA 19209

Comment

Un-accepted method for keeping and for that matter returning a kick pedal on a Chief.

193.jpg195.jpg

A wheel cylinder spring bent into shape and then inverted. I don't worry about tightening it- Just a dab of oil every few hundred miles and it returns itself. Of course Hendee probably would not approve.

Comment

nice !
                    Bob Beatty
                    AMCA 19209

Comment

For my '50EL, where the pedall spins freely, I am in the process of designing a lightweight pedal connected to a small generator to assist in charging the battery while in motion. Main problem now is trying to avoid feedback to the main generator without incurring a nuclear explosion.
                      Lonnie Campbell #9908
                      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Good one, Lonnie. Obviously solar wouldn't work...
                        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
                        X