42 EL sputtering when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 EL sputtering when cold

I find I must turn to the collective experience on this forum. I am struggling to figure out a problem, likely it will be a dugh moment once it’s identified.

I have a 42 EL, with a 35M carb, which is newly rebuilt with a good float, the valve lash is set and checked twice, the timing is spot on to the timing marks, the ignition is 6 volt, strong and sure, I have the electronic ignition2000 in place of the points. Heads are torqued correctly. Plugs are well gapped and inspection shows them to be showing a very decent colour. Engine is strong and steady. Always starts 1st kick (when no looky-loos).

My gremlin is: When I first start the engine from cold, I have tried to warm it through for a couple minutes, when I start off I reach about 10mph and while accelerating I have a popping and missing and loss of power. Once I get underway that is the end of it. It does not re-occur until I am starting up with a cold engine again.

I have done my best to adjust the low and high speed screws, I think I am very close if not spot on with those. I am operating with full advance, retarding makes it worse. . . (Speaking of this, I seem to only use the retard when I am climbing a hill; I have not learned if that is the correct procedure, I would love to be educated in this area for correct application of retard/advance).

I thought, perhaps the engine builder (I do not have history) built it to a different timing, so I inspected the possible change if I set the flywheel to the middle of the inspection hole instead of the lead, but the difference in timing is absolutely such a minimal amount I discounted that.

Ok, I have rambled enough, any thoughts?
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

My 46 EL does exactly the same thing. I let it warm up for a couple of minutes and it's good until it gets cold again.

If you can get the idle and speed working right 'hot' use the choke cold and give it some time to warm up and she'll be fine. FYI, my JD is the same.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Check with Ed, inventor of the eBeyond2000. Google the name of the thing. He had some units that gave less-than-full service when hooked up to 6-volts.If there's anything wrong with yours, he'll warranty it. Ed Fralick is a stand-up guy, but that was the experience of one of my friends.
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Why would you retard the spark when climbing a hill?

The only time the spark is retarded is when your starting the bike.

Instead of retarding the spark when climbing a hill, downshift into a lower gear so not to lug the engine.

Once the engine is started, the spark should be advanced fully.

Comment

I've used electronic ignitions in old British bikes but have stuck with points on the American stuff. I pack a file and a spare condenser on the road and roll along fairly worry free. Now if I could just trust a repop coil!

As far as retarding the spark while running.... I tend to leave it fully advanced. I have been told though that it can be helpful to retard it when pulling a steep grade. I recall on a group ride a couple years back, a fella on his 45 was playing around with the spark while climbing hills and said it seemed to pull better slightly retarded on hills. I'd definitely like to hear more opinions on this practice as well. Rich has me wondering if it's all poppycock!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

That is interesting, I think I notice a slight improvement by retarding the spark on a hill climb, but as soon as the engine catches it breath back to full advance, seems to work, but maybe its in my head.

Re my original problem: its interesting you mention to retard at start-up, I find I cant get a decent start unless I am fully advanced.

I have found that when I pull over from ridding and my spark is advanced I have a steady roll and nice sound, but if I retard it at an idle I get that very sweet, just running potato-potato that everyone loves to hear. (I know not to let it go for long like that). It seriously would not start retarded. Even my manual says advance it to initially start it. (hmm I think it does anyway, I am going to re-check now) Seriously this engine runs so nice other than this annoying event).
            Last edited by NiteOwl; 06-02-2012, 12:52 AM.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

If you haven't dialed the carburetor in yet, there's a good chance it's running rich and the plugs are sooting up causing it to misfire when cold. Pull them out and see how they look. If there's carbon on the porcelain insulator, the spark will take the path of least resistance and track down the soot insead of jumping the gap.

Comment

Plugs have a nice tan colour.

I spoke to a guy here and he suggested that perhaps I had fuel laying in the intake pipes and that when I took off it ignited and fired back through the carb. This was a very good thought, he suggests giving some throttle before I depart to burn the fule off. Tonight after work I will do this and see if it makes any difference.

BTW, I did talk to Ed of eBeyond2000, he sugested to advance my timer by 1/16", I did, but the problem remains. The fuel theroy really sounds plausible to me. Fingers crossed.
                Bob Beatty
                AMCA 19209

Comment

Best of luck with your "after work" experiment Bob! I think with the attention you are paying to this bike that you are going to have a machine that ticks over like a fine old watch.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory.

Well it failed. Grin. I am pulling complete timer tomorrow before I ride to work at noon. I want to ensure the eBeyond is absolitly positioned 100%

I have found that ther is backlash in my timer rotor. Its more than I would expect from gears but I am not certain what is allowed.
                    Bob Beatty
                    AMCA 19209

Comment

Carburetion adjustments are made at operating temperature. Why would we expect optimum performance when cold?

Comment

I also had one of those 2000 ign in my 36 and it did the same thing, I called Ed and he let me return it, he is a very nice guy. Once I went back to points she runs fine, thanks, Larry

Comment

Well, I took out my bike again today, it ran better than a fine watch, it did not skip a beat, no sputtering or even one hiccup. I logged over 200 Miles today, climbing mountain roads, winding turns, long HWY-speed stretches, everything I could throw at it. Grinning all the way. WOW It was even raining half the day and it just did not matter, she purrs.

Yesterday I reset the eBeyond2000 and moved it closer to the pickup, (tight to the paper gap), I also re-adjusted the carb and, low and behold no grief whatsoever. It is definitely dialed it perfect now. 1 kick every time.

What beautiful machines these are, it brought back memories of traveling across the US in the early 80's, odd that my StreeGlide does not give me the same memories, . . actually I can't believe I don't even give that bike much attention, probably should not have insure it this year for all the riding its going to get. grin
                          Bob Beatty
                          AMCA 19209

Comment

Ha! Sounds like your hooked Bob.... I knew it... just roll with it... there is no cure....
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Sounds like you got it dialed in, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the E Beyond 2000 ignitions. I got tired of buying those over priced JUNK aftermarket Knucklehead points for my '35 VL and bought and installed the E2000. I did have to adjust it slightly after the first ride but it hasn't missed a beat since. After priming the bike starts the second kick when cold and the first kick after that every time. Those who know me, know that I like all my stuff original but I'm sold on the E2000 ignitions......is the one out yet for the Indian Chiefs???
                              Louie
                              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
                              X