Torque Values - Head and Cylinder 42 Knuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Values - Head and Cylinder 42 Knuckle

Could someone provide torque values for a 42 Knucklehead engine 61" ?
    Last edited by NiteOwl; 06-01-2012, 01:13 AM.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Book says 35 Ft Lbs for cylinders base nuts and 65 Ft Lbs for head bolts.

Tom (Rollo0 Hardy
    AMCA # 12766

Comment

what book did you find this in? I have the purple covered service manual 1940-1947 and can't find this info in it?

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
      Book says 35 Ft Lbs for cylinders base nuts and 65 Ft Lbs for head bolts.

Tom (Rollo0 Hardy
      AMCA # 12766
      AMCA 26656

47EL
      47WL

Comment

ok thank you. I have re-torqued my heads, they needed a small amount, in the process I was annoyed to find torque wrench only operated in one direction, I hardly ever use this small wrench and never realized it until now, since I had to torque using extensions. 40 for base and I chickened out and went with 60 for heads
        Bob Beatty
        AMCA 19209

Comment

Bob,

Be careful when using extensions with torque wrenches. They add to the amount of torque you are getting. I have a Snap-On click type and the instructions tell yuo how to figure out what to set the torque wrench at to achieve the proper amount on the bolts. Verticle extensions add no torque but I have a Snap-On extension that adds length to get to all the bolts, especially the inner ones.

Tomcat- I got that torque info. from a book by Kirk Perry called Mechanic and Owners Guide to Harley Davidson OHV Big Twins 1941-1959. I also remember being told that by HD mechanics through the years. It also might be in the shop dope volumes but I can't remember for sure. Those are what have always used and never had any issues with too little or too much. Others might chime in.

Tom ( Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA # 12766

Comment

Thanks very much Rollo, I did have to calculate for 2 of my pulls, formula was straight forward so it worked great.

Does your book have a torque table for other fasteners that could be usefull for the members ? Maybe it could be scanned if there is one. Thanks again.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
            X