Beehive tail light

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FCJ
    replied
    Further to above, I believe that low and high position bases (and short and tall bulbs) were used for 42-46-type tail lights, but only low position bases (and only short bulbs) were used for 39-41-type tail lights. To my knowledge:

    39-41-type tail lights used (a) a 39-41-type housing, (b) a 39-[46]-type base (aka low position base), and (c) a 39-46-type bulb no. 5058-34 (aka short bulb).

    The tail light pictured below is a 42-46-type Solo tail light that used (a) a 42-46-type housing, (b) a low position base, and (c) a 42-[46]-type bulb no. 5058-42 (aka tall bulb).

    The tail light pictured below is less common than a 42-46-type Solo tail light that used (a) a 42-46-type housing, (b) a [43]-46-type base (aka high position base), and (c) a short bulb.

    A short bulb may work with either base, but a tall bulb may only work with a low position base. There are subtypes of one or more of the parts.

    Photo 1:


    Photo 2:


    [End]

    Leave a comment:


  • FCJ
    replied
    Originally posted by bellbigdawg View Post
    by the side radius shot looks to be a non-servicar tailamp housing. also the high bulb mount plate you have should be correct for 39-41. in the new product literature from harley they state the new bulb position was changed then.
    As to the base, I have not seen the referenced new product literature. So, I could be wrong. But, to my knowledge, the low position base was used for 1939 through at least 1942 and possibly through 1946. According to Palmer, the high position base was not used until sometime after 1942 and has never been referenced in any new product announcement bulletin.

    As to the housing, I understand that Ron may now have other reason to believe that the housing is a Solo type. I don't know if any 1939-1941 housing has a "G" stamp. And, it's difficult to gauge depth based on the photos provided. However, based on the apparent absence of trim slits that may otherwise be visible and the top deck/lip area, I would guess that the housing is a Solo type for mid-1940-1941 or possibly an earlier (but not the earliest) subtype.

    Leave a comment:


  • FCJ
    replied
    Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Any confusion, Ironwood,..Is Tedd's fault.....Cotten
    Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Axeric gets extra credit for twisting things extraordinarily to get back close to topic.
    Apologies and thanks for the reminders about confusion and staying on topic. I have learned from this thread and need to remember that others may look to this thread for answers in the future. I don't know much and have questions of my own, but, to the extent I have learned anything, I can try to address unanswered questions and highlight issues that may be unresolved.

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    I'm sorry; I can't hear you.

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by exeric View Post
    I have a friend that got 'stung' by a stingray in St. Pete years ago. He said the only relief was to keep his foot in a bucket of ice water; but then his foot would get too cold and he would have to take it out. As soon as he took his foot out of the ice water, his foot would explode with pain. I think that is the same pain people feel today when they have to buy a genuine Beehive, or Streamline tail-light.
    Yeah right.

    Axeric gets extra credit for twisting things extraordinarily to get back close to topic.

    If you buy it, its self-inflicted.

    ....Cotten

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    Originally posted by FCJ View Post
    Very cool. Quintessential Streamline Moderne. I didn't initially notice the third lens in the profile photo, but the LaSalle tail light kind of combines elements similar to those of the H-D sidecar fender lamp and the H-D 39-46 tail light. I don't know what the LaSalle tail light was actually called ("streamlined bullet tail light"?), but it looks like the love child of a stingray and an evil Cylon robot from Battlestar Galactica.Photo 1:
    I have a friend that got 'stung' by a stingray in St. Pete years ago. He said the only relief was to keep his foot in a bucket of ice water; but then his foot would get too cold and he would have to take it out. As soon as he took his foot out of the ice water, his foot would explode with pain. I think that is the same pain people feel today when they have to buy a genuine Beehive, or Streamline tail-light.
    Last edited by exeric; 07-02-2019, 04:07 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by IRONWOOD View Post
    Starting to sound like a hornet's nest...What did Harley Davidson call it?? Besides a tail light.....
    Any confusion, Ironwood,..

    Is Tedd's fault.

    ....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-01-2019, 02:38 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • FCJ
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
    I'd say it's a Caddy Daddy. Cadillac & LaSalle beat Harley-Davidson as far as getting the lens out first. This lens went into production in 1937. Anyway, i always called em'...Boat Marker, as in the 2nd picture.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]25090[/ATTACH]
    Very cool. Quintessential Streamline Moderne. I didn't initially notice the third lens in the profile photo, but the LaSalle tail light kind of combines elements similar to those of the H-D sidecar fender lamp and the H-D 39-46 tail light. I don't know what the LaSalle tail light was actually called ("streamlined bullet tail light"?), but it looks like the love child of a stingray and an evil Cylon robot from Battlestar Galactica.

    Photo 1:


    Photo 2:


    Photo 3:


    [End]

    Leave a comment:


  • JoJo357
    replied
    I'd say it's a Caddy Daddy. Cadillac & LaSalle beat Harley-Davidson as far as getting the lens out first. This lens went into production in 1937. Anyway, i always called em'...Boat Marker, as in the 2nd picture.
    1937-1938-Cadillac-LaSalle-CADRAY-Tail-Light-with-_1.jpg >>Cadillac & LaSalle.
    Vintage-Boat-Nautical-Light-Green-Lamp-Marker-Chrome.jpg >>Boat Light Bow Marker.

    *M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 06-25-2019, 09:51 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • FCJ
    replied
    I realize that this thread is old and that similar threads may have died without addressing the base gasket material question. Started a new thread. Just checking for any updated knowledge.

    Leave a comment:


  • oldsouthmcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Erdos View Post
    Thanks for the info Jerry. Do you have any info on my gasket question? The picture Chris posted has no gaskets around the lenses. Do you know when the gaskets were used or not used?
    All 1939-1946 tail lamps use gaskets for the glass but there are two distinctly different types of gaskets. The 1939-1941 gaskets are thin strips of rubber about the thickness of a bicycle tube. They are inserted between the glass and the body.

    1942-1946 tail lamps use (as quoted from the 1942 Dealer's announcement bulletin) "a new rubber seal [that] overlaps the outside and inside of the housings for the red and white lenses of the tail light. Entrance of both dust and water is thus prevented."

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by IRONWOOD View Post
    Starting to sound like a hornet's nest...What did Harley Davidson call it?? Besides a tail light.....
    Harley called the 1934-1938 tail lamp The Beehive. The new lamp announced in 1939 was simply called The Streamlined New Tail Light..

    Leave a comment:


  • Erdos
    replied
    Thanks for the info Jerry. Do you have any info on my gasket question? The picture Chris posted has no gaskets around the lenses. Do you know when the gaskets were used or not used?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry Wieland
    replied
    I believe that the bulb position is a year thing and not servicar/solo bike. If I remember right it is announced in the 1942 Introductory Literature. Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • IRONWOOD
    replied
    Well the tail light matched up perfect with a tail light from a bike not a servicar...so i am calling it that ...thanks for all your input
    Ron

    Leave a comment:

Working...