Linkert M5f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert M5f

I have a spare Linkert marked M5f. I know that indicates a fixed jet for the high speed side, but is it true as Palmers book states that it was used ONLY by the California Highway Patrol (CHP)?
    Thanks
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

If it says it in Palmer's, you can bank on it, Mark.

Yes, it's true. The fixed main jet was invented to keep the Chippies from fooling with their high speed jets and messing their bikes all up! It turned out to be such a good idea that it was extended to the army WLA/WLCs and many other "fleet" applications during WWII. Finally, even to the M-74B's on Panheads (in what, '52?) removing one of the last means for rider-owners to get their fuel mixture all cross-wise and hopelessly mis-tuned and, maybe, burning their motor up completely.
    Last edited by Sargehere; 03-19-2012, 11:36 PM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I'm guessing since the M5 is similar to the M51 and the military M88 is the M51 with a fixed high speed needle that the M88 fixed high speed needle would fit the M5f?

Just another theory Mark, do you think the f might stand for female and that carb might fit one of those chick bikes you are so fond of. ;p

Comment

Hey dude, lay off! I like the enclosed chainguard on the HD Opposed Sport Model. It keeps chain grease from getting on my fancy pants.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Geoff!

The 27304-40 "military" needle was used to completely shut the needle seat.
          Therefore, tuning is entirely a matter of trial and error with various fixed jets, hopeing one would be close to optimum for the motor.
          (A fresh motor may suffer before finding the sweet spot.)

If the motor is over standard bore, or altered otherwise, the spec'd fixed jet may be inadequate, and modern fuel formulations will confuse tuneing further.
          Adjusting the military needle while going down the road is possible, but inconvenient.

If the CHP assembly used the same cap on the HS needle well, then Mark may wish to consider one of Larry Elias' full length civvy needles with a military cap instead of a knob.
          The fixed jet is removed and plugged, and the HS needle then operates and is adjusted as usual.
          Most vintage distributors carry them.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-20-2012, 08:28 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
          X