Inner lower spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner lower spring question

Another question from the green horn. I am putting a 39 big twin springer together for the first time and the upper/lower inner springs I have are "c" springs about 3" long. I slid them on to the spring rod and the lower is only about 1/2 the clearance of the main outer spring. It doesn't seem like it's correct because is it not even close to the length of the outer spring. It would not seem to really do anything. Is that correct? Palmer makes a distinction beween solo and sidecar bikes. My bike will not have a sidecar. As always, your help is appreciated.
    Eric Hitzel
    AMCA 14954

The inner springs are buffer springs and do not carry the weight of the bike but are merely to keep the forks from over compressing when hitting a hard bump or pothole. The short length is correct.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rub. I have two sets of inner lower springs. One is "c" shaped and the other is straight. Which is correct?
      Eric Hitzel
      AMCA 14954

Comment

All the inner springs for The tubular style fork are curved, with the uppers being shorter than the lowers. The straight type are likely VL lowers which had a flat anti-rattle spring mounted in a notch in the spring rod to hold tension on them.
        What are the lengths of the springs you have? Stock are approx 3-3/8 for the lowers and 3-1/4 for the uppers measured on the long side of the "C". The lowers are also heavier gauge with fewer coils.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Beware, the lower inner springs for a side car equiped rig are longer. I have a set installed on my 41 knuckle side car rig. I think I got them form J&P or maybe AAOK but they are substantially longer than the solo springs and they are available. It makes a difference with the extra side car weight.

Tom ( Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA # 12766

Comment

servi car were also longer.

Comment

Working...
            X