Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936-37 tail light conversion

Hi.
    Can anyone offer a easy retrofit single fillament to dual fillament globe holder for my 37 tail light.
    Apparently the poverty models only offered with a tail light. The dual fillement brake light was an option. A customer could order a brake light kit which would include wiring, brakelight sender, chain etc and a dual fillement bulb holder.
    Also can anyone verify if the bulb holder screws out of the back of the lense holder? It looks like there might be a fine thread but the original paint is a making it hard to be positive... maybe shell out the cash and invest in one of those bench mounted illuminated magnifiers.
    Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

The bulb holder is riveted to the mounting bracket. The single bulb holder is shorter than the dual. I have always hoped that some of the people who reproduced the lamps would make that part available separately. But so far none have.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hi Chris. All the best for the New Year.
      Thanks for the information.
      The lense holder is certainly rivited to the license plate holder, but the bulb socket looks like it has a fine thread and may be screwed into the back of the license plate holder. I will see if I can clean some of the road grime off it and get a close up picture to see if you agree.
      Steve Little
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

bulb holder 002.JPGbulb holder 001.JPG
        Maybe changing this part to the two fillament holder is as simple as unscrewing the single fillament bulb holder and screwing in the dual.
        I am pretty sure we have a small C spanner around here.
        If I can find one that fits it nicely it may fit into the one of the 3 centre pop marks that are holding the plastic portion of the bulb holder to the brass part.
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

It’s my understanding that the brake light was a standard fitment on all solos but for some reason it was not supplied as standard on bikes with side cars?
          I’m not sure about 1937 but the same light fitted on JDs and VLs has a fine thread, but the tread is also soldered so you may need to apply heat to get it apart.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

bulb holder 004.JPGbulb holder 003.JPG
            Hi Pete.
            No heat needed. It screwed out ok.
            Now to find a dual fillement unit. I am betting that HD did not make these and I have been surfing the net looking for Antique autolec supplies in the States. Anyone feel like giving any leads.
            Regards Steve
            Steve Little
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Dear Steve, let me know how you get on, as I ruined a taillight a couple of years ago trying to convert it to dual filament. The dual unit has to sit further back in the taillight so that the larger bulb clears the glass. Also the repro units are made differently to the originals and are not interchangeable.

Comment

Check with Tom. He is now making a dual filament unit for the VL's.

http://www.replicantmetals.com/
                Bob Selph
                1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                1940 Sport Scout
                AMCA#15215

Comment

bulb holder 001.JPGbulb holder 002.JPGbulb holder 003.JPGThanks for the lead. I rang and spoke to Tom this morning but he has none in stock at the moment.
                  I'm trying to get this bike ready for the Great Race (Indian virsus Harley) here in Australia and need this problem resolved fairly quickly so that I can complete the bike and get it registered.
                  I decided to ring the local car parts store and got them to deliver a $3.95 all purpose globe holder.
                  Fitting this globe holder took 15 minutes it is ready for fitment to the fender.
                  The plastic body screwed into the original thread without damaging the original thread for a future correct application.
                  The globe is an Osram 6 volt 6/18w and I have 4mm- 5/32" gap between the globe and the clear lense.
                  Even though I believe it is tight enough to stay put! I will fill the gap between the shoulder of the globe holder and the back of the licenece plate holder with a fillet of siloken.
                  Thanks for all help.
                  Regards Steve
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

Dear Steve, nice work and good luck in the Great Race. Over here I've found a special 6 volt, straight pin, 6/20w stop/tail lamp about the same size as the regular 3w tail lamp bulb, which should mean less alteration to the single filament socket in order to convert it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7812[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7813[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7814[/ATTACH]Thanks for the lead. I rang and spoke to Tom this morning but he has none in stock at the moment.
                      I'm trying to get this bike ready for the Great Race (Indian virsus Harley) here in Australia and need this problem resolved fairly quickly so that I can complete the bike and get it registered.
                      I decided to ring the local car parts store and got them to deliver a $3.95 all purpose globe holder.
                      Fitting this globe holder took 15 minutes it is ready for fitment to the fender.
                      The plastic body screwed into the original thread without damaging the original thread for a future correct application.
                      The globe is an Osram 6 volt 6/18w and I have 4mm- 5/32" gap between the globe and the clear lense.
                      Even though I believe it is tight enough to stay put! I will fill the gap between the shoulder of the globe holder and the back of the licenece plate holder with a fillet of siloken.
                      Thanks for all help.
                      Regards Steve
                      What the heck is Siloken??

Comment

photo.jpgantique bulb holder option.jpgSheesh dont you know anything? Its silicone badly spelt.
                        My grammatical asperations are left wanting.

I received a email from one of the antique auto electrical suppliers about a part that may fit.
                        I have sent a further inquirey about the thread size. The thread needs to be 3/4" X 32tpi.
                        I will post a reply when I get it.
                        Regards Steve
                        Steve Little
                        Australia.
                        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                        X