Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36-37 wiring and Ammeter fitment

Hi.
    Hoping someone has a 36-37 wiring diagram that they can post or email.

Also, I am trying to finish off my dash assembly to bolt onto the frame.
    I have an original ammeter that I bought that came with insulating washers and brass nuts. See pictures
    ameter 002.JPGameter 001.JPG
    When I recieved the ammeter there were a couple of brass nuts holding thin stepped insulating washers tightly to the ammeter body. Then 2 thick insulating washers floating along the posts, and a set of brass nuts screwed on a couple of threads.
    This is the sequence that it had been fitted to the last bike because there was a film of grunge around the stepped washers and nuts holding them in place.

If you have ever tried to work with an original early parts manual to identify the correct spacer, insulater or washer sequence on some part, you will know my frustration.
    The later parts manual are drawn with an exploded veiw of the part, as fitted. So much easier.

I am trying to work out the correct fittment of the ammeter to the dash plate.
    The dash plate has a step in the two surfaces that the ammeter posts bolt to. The difference between the two heights is about 1/8".
    The ammeter posts can not ground to the dash plate for obvious reasons. The back of the ammeter body pulls up to the half moon indents on the dash plate.
    Can someone advise me on the correct parts and sequence
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Ther have to be a 2nd terminal for 37 under the seat???? Ammeter have to be isolatet from the base. With best regards Joe
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Joe.
      That is a very clear original diagram.
      Thanks for sending it.
      Must be getting frosty in Salsberg.
      Regards Steve
      Steve Little
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

P1010033.jpgP1010034.jpg
        Even though the wiring diagram only shows 1 terminal at the seat post cluster, I think that the 1937 bikes had a terminal in both.
        The attached picture is a 37 that has been at Davenport for the last couple of years. I'm not sure who owns it, or if it has a (known) history.
        This bike has a low engine number 37EL 19-- and it has terminals in both seatpost cluster holes.
        Even though the wiring diagram shows 1 terminal break in the loom, I think this is making reference to 1936.
        The seat post cluster in a 1936 frame only has a hole in the left side. The right side of the 1936 seat post cluster is un drilled and un machined.
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve, The second terminal may be only in use for the seat mounted lights. I have a NOS wiring kit for the lights and the intructions with the kit instruct you to install the terminal in that location.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Hi Kyle. You may be right. I hope to have the loom fitted by the end of the weekend.
            Steve Little
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve, The 1940 spare parts book lists a wire 4706-37 battery positive wire 23 3/4 long. This should be long enough without brake (terminal).
              Anyway tere are also 3 numbers 4701-36, 4701-37 and 4701-38 from switch to battery, coil and tail lamp.
              I think 36 have 1 terminal, 38 have 2 terminal under the seat and 37 ????
              The front terminal (near the horn) is in 37 the same problem I donīt know.
              And yes itīs cold here in the mountains.

Comment

Working...
              X