No announcement yet.

Early Knuckle Air Snoot Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Len, I think you did mention that the filter was from a Sprint. It takes this old Irish mind a few reminders to engage and work. Out of curiosity how often do you clean the element?

Comment

Every couple hundred miles, give or take some and depending on road conditions. Merry Christmas
      AMCA #765

Comment

Two updates ...

1) The foam filter not only is a fire hazard, it absolutely starves the carb ... but it sure does fit inside the snoot nicely ... as long as you don't plan on actually riding the bike ;-)

2) I have one of the Sprint air Filters now, but it seems that the fit in the air snoot will be better if I use two. Soooo ... I'm going to get a second one and test it and report back. At the risk of having you other knuckleheads buy them all, Wilhelm Boon has the 29056-61P sprint air filter for sale at about $40 USD each on their website.
        Vic Ephrem
        AMCA #2590

Comment

Awesome Vic.. This one is up on fleabay but i'm thinking it will get sucked into the carb even though it's steel.
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/29056-62P-Ha...item1e5203a3bb
          AMCA #765

Comment

With this coming back up, I gave up on th eair horn and went to the 6" air cleaner housing.

Finally located a foam pre filter from Napa for this job. The filter is just slighlty smaller than the diameter of the wound copper mesh filter material when mounted to the holed air stack on the backing plate.

Here's a link: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...281_0215386631

Had to trim the width, sprayed the pre filter with K & N filter oil lightly pulled the filter to spread it open and worked it over the top of the copper mesh filter.

Bike runs the same but now I definitly know dust and small particles of sand won't be getting into the engine reducing the engines life.

Comment

How many Brit bikes came from the factory with NO air filter?
              Maybe they don't have dust there.....
              Rich
              Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

This is a comment on Steve's reply from December. The 1935 VL had an optional filter-packed air intake based on the one-year 1935 slash cut air intake. This was packed with mesh, the end was closed, and a caution plate attached on cleaning intervals. It was given part number 1401-35 and announced in Shop Dope 129 of May 2, 1935. By 1936 the accessory catalog shows the new round air cleaner also given the part number 1401-35 because it fitted back to '35. Prior to that date the carburetor air cleaner screws were tapped No. 10 x 24 rather than the later No.12 x 24. So, on a judged bike, a showroom 1935 VL should lose points if presented with the round air intake, even though the part number says it fits.

Comment

Steve,

I have seen that 1935 mesh filled slash cut air cleaner of which you speak, a friend of mine has one, the instuctions plate is the same as the 6" round one. I've also noticed some period flattrack race pictures where Indians scouts were using that filter for competition.....must have been the only game in town for filtered air in 1935. Plus you know a harley part always makes and Indian faster.........

Comment

Dear Tom, yes it was probably the only mesh filter available in 1935. The instruction plate on Rick Schultz' original paint 35VLD filter reads 'Every 2000 miles or oftener under dusty conditions remove mesh pack, wash in gasoline, dip in oil, drain. Then reassemble.' The Shop Dope referenced has a rare example of reality intrusion when it reports several cases of loss of compression and piston slap at low mileage 'called to our attention during the past few weeks from the dust storm sections.'

Comment

'Every 2000 miles or oftener under dusty conditions remove mesh pack, wash in gasoline, dip in oil, drain. Then reassemble.'

I can't find the word oftener in my Funk & Wagnal. ;-)
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, is travelin' in it?

Comment

Working...
                        X