Original HD Factory image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original HD Factory image

Hi. I am looking for a picture that I saw in a book about 15 years ago. It is a HD factory picture of a guy who looks to be brazing a Knuckle frame and there is a accetalyne torch with a big smokey accetalyne flame burning on the side of the bench.

I must have owned this book at some time in the past but can't find the image in any of the books I own now. Maybe it was a workshop manual. Does anyone know what publication this image is in.
    Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve I think that image is in one of the 1939 Enthusiasts.

Jerry

Comment

Engineering History of Harley-Davidson byJerry Hatfield.

Comment

Thank you to you both. I will try and track down a copy of the Hatfield book. If someone has a copy of the Enthusiast can they scan the image and post it on this thread.
        Regards Steve
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for posting that picture Chris. I have always been fascinated by it, and can only imagine the knowedge those frame brazers had. What a gas bill !
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I feel for the poor basterds. Odviously by the caps on their heads, It was winter. Can you imagine the temperature in that room in August? Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

This is a marvelous picture Chris.
                This is the way we do it in my factory and I can tell you that the heat soaks into the core of you'r body and the sweat runs off my face in steady stream of drips.
                The shop stinks of cadmium from the powder flux that I dip the rods into...even with the big exhaust fan going.
                I have never seen this picture it is not the picture that I was looking for, but now that i have seen it, it is much better and is authentic to the brazing of frames. The picture I was referring to is one guy "who looks to be Polish" and the frame is sitting on a flat table. I can't remember if he is actually holding a torch to the frame but I remember there is a torch hanging on the bench behind him and it is is only burning accetalyne.
                Now that I have seen Chris,s picture the other one falls into insignificance.
                Period looks to be 38 or 39
                Thanks
                Steve Little
                Australia.
                AMCA member 1950

Comment

The guy closest to the camera is brazing the sidecar lugs. I dont know what the rod is that he is holding but i wonder if he is ladling molten bronze into the joint. The rod looks to be about 3/8" diam and is too thick to be a welding rod. Could be a extension rod for the braze rod to fit into. The next guy along is holding the same thing but the flame flare makes it impossible to be sure what it is. The first guy may have some extra rods resting up over his left shoulder.

If you've ever seen a blasted 1936 to 1945 frame, the rear trans cross brace usually has so much extra bronze melted all over them. And they somtimes have a brushed look to the excess material...a mottled/wiped look. When I am brazing a frame and I get a bit too much brass around a weld I wipe off the excess brass with the cooler rod. I think the big brush on the side of the table is for wiping away excess material.
                  Looks to be a tray of flux powder to his left.
                  Last edited by Steve Little; 11-23-2011, 05:34 AM.
                  Steve Little
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

Looks like a very large fan in the center window. And is that a wooden floor?

Comment

Note that all the small items "running board lugs, toolbox bracket, low tank mount, etc" are already welded on to the frame by the time these guys get it.
                      Brazing is all that they did every day. They should be as skinny as bean storks.
                      No sign of the fabled pitcher bucket or mugs
                      Steve Little
                      Australia.
                      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
                        Note that all the small items "running board lugs, toolbox bracket, low tank mount, etc" are already welded on to the frame by the time these guys get it.
                        Brazing is all that they did every day. They should be as skinny as bean storks.
                        No sign of the fabled pitcher bucket or mugs
                        If you will notice all brazed frames have all the parts spot welded in place to hole while being brazed. The "Beer Ration" was once an hour. John Nawak gave his beer ration tin cup with H D embossed in it to Bruce Palmer III.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hi Chris. On these Pohlman Studio pictures, are the numbers in the bottom right corner the picture number and are the numbers in the bottom left corner the date?.

Some correct welding terminology for general information, Spot welding is done with machine with 2 arms that meet either side of a piece of metal and create a resistance weld...a spot weld. There are 3 spot welds holding the round washers to a 38-39 toolbox bracket
                          The small welds that hold the parts to tubing on these frames is called a tack weld.
                          Regards Steve
                          Steve Little
                          Australia.
                          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Now I know why the brazing on my '41 UL frame looked so uniformly smooth and sloppy, if that description makes sense. I resisted the temptation to break out the files and sanding disks to neaten it up though as I thought it looked too original to mess with.

Comment

Wise decision Ronald. Don't mess with history if you don't have to.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X